Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Loads of excellent looking beers on here using Kveik. Mines 4 days in now and I’m really looking forward to it.

I top cropped this yeast (WHC Bjorn Hornindal) 41hours into fermentation. The jar has been in the fridge since and it looks like this.
The top layer is a very dense foam, it’s set so that even when you tilt the jar, the head stays put and contains the liquid beneath it.

Do you think that I’ll need to remove this or can I keep the jar for a couple of weeks until my next brew?
thanks

Attachments

• D4E68562-FC4A-4360-AD0F-CE3C2F55C08B.jpeg
    D4E68562-FC4A-4360-AD0F-CE3C2F55C08B.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 176
Hi,
Loads of excellent looking beers on here using Kveik. Mines 4 days in now and I’m really looking forward to it.

I top cropped this yeast (WHC Bjorn Hornindal) 41hours into fermentation. The jar has been in the fridge since and it looks like this.
The top layer is a very dense foam, it’s set so that even when you tilt the jar, the head stays put and contains the liquid beneath it.

Do you think that I’ll need to remove this or can I keep the jar for a couple of weeks until my next brew?
thanks

That is fine, just give it a shake before use. You wont need all of that.

i have brewed a pale ale useing voss from cml, currently in fv an esb 2 days in its nearly done i pitched at 40c and just left it this is great for folks without temp control like me it means summer brews are no longer a problem, the pale ale is very very good, i have ordered 3 more packs athumb.. think i might save a jam jar full of whats left in the fv and chuck it in my next brew on sunday if its finished

I'm doing an APA from GH book tomorrow and using the CML Voss also, not used it before so looking forward to using it (yey...something I'm looking forward to brew with and I didn't get a bollocking from the Mrs)

Is the CML voss single strain? Good to know they are selling some. I love those guys but i hardly ever buy yeast anymore. Omega labs have a new isolate out, i think its called "lutra". Meant to be clean at all temps. Fairly sure there will be a lot of interest in it. Has anyone tried Oslo yet?

Reading this thread has made me want to brew a NEIPA.

Is the CML voss single strain? Good to know they are selling some. I love those guys but i hardly ever buy yeast anymore. Omega labs have a new isolate out, i think its called "lutra". Meant to be clean at all temps. Fairly sure there will be a lot of interest in it. Has anyone tried Oslo yet?

Reading this thread has made me want to brew a NEIPA.
I have Oslo from this eBay seller but have not used it yet. I have a Czech pils recipe I'll be using it in, can let you know how it comes out. I hear it's clean but lacks the crispness of a lager yeast.

Ugh I tried another bottle of my Stranda Kveik IPA today and had to dump it. Annoying because the tester I had the other day was ok. I don't know what's up with this yeast.

I'm going to see if it ages over the next few weeks but I'll think I'll end up chucking the lot in the end.

Oh well, you win some you lose some. I've got some Oslo Kveik to try this weekend, hopefully that's a better one.

That is a good selection and cheap. Here is a link for lutra.
Thanks for the link, I'm looking for a good "lager" kveik. I used WLP518 Opshaug in a doppelbock which was quite nice, would like to give it another go at a helles or pils. Skare has a marmalade flavour and citrus bitterness which is nice but definitely not "crisp and clean" as it's been described. I'm gonna try Oslo next, will try and culture up some opshaug from the bottle, will eventually try some others as well.

I also got some Voss and Simonaitis from that seller. I'm interested in the later as it's POF+ and sour, gonna do another hopless beer with it.

I'm making up an Oslo starter now ready for Sunday. I hope it's good!
Scratch that, I dropped my glass carboy filled with wort and the bottom cracked 😐 Luckily I hadn't pitched the yeast as it was too hot. Hell of a clean up operation though.

I can't catch a break recently it seems.

I think I'm going to put a supermarket cider on with Voss this weekend. 19l and then in to a corny for some forced gassing.

Cheap cold summer weekend drink...
It's going slow. But it's going

Success! The Oslo Kveik I got resent from yeaserbunnybrewing is good (the other two packs I got from them were not viable - I suspect poor shipping temps). Checked it first thing this morning and there was a few bubbles forming on top, then a couple of hours later a krausen was almost fully formed. I'll leave it alone now for two weeks and see what the beer is like.

I had a recent double brew day using kveik yeast; here are my experiences

The first beer was a NEIPA (about 6,5% ABV)
  • 75% Pale Ale, 15% Flaked Oats, 10% Pale Wheat
  • 15g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Boil 10 min
    50g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) 30 min hopstand @ 75 °C
    60g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Dry hop
  • RO water - treated to NEIPA profile
  • Added some yeast nutrient, pitched half a satchel of Lallemand Kveik Voss
  • Fermented @ 38°C, added dryhops after 2 days, cool crashed 3 days later, kegged after 2 days after cool crash, beer done and ready to drink at day 10
View attachment 28157

The beer is amazing - it's on the bitter end of the NEIPA spectrum but still juicy. A lot of fruit going around - the orange flavours really compliment Mosaic / H Blanc fruit flavours and Centennial Pine flavours. Not bad for a quick turnover beer - Kveik does really well with hazy IPAs!

The other beer was a bit of a user-upper fantasy beer - I wanted a crisp dark beer that still had some interesting malt flavour. Somewhere between a bitter and schwarzbier?

Malts
  • 3000g Pale Malt
  • 600g Simpsons Golden Oats
  • 250g Mild Malt
  • 200g Weyermann Carafa Special III
Hops (35 IBU)
  • 15 g Centennial 9.4% — Boil — 60 min
  • 45 g Centennial 9.4% — Boil — 10 min
Rest
  • Amsterdam tap water - treated to lager profile
  • Added some yeast nutrient, pitched the other half a satchel of Lallemand Kveik Voss
  • Fermented @ 19°C cool crashed 6 days later, kegged after 1 day after cool crash
This beer was ultra crisp and kicked quite a bit of sulphur - reminded me of some Bohemian lagers I had in Prague. It was also still really hoppy tasting - a bit like a hopstand. Could be that sampling it so soon did that. If I would repeat this I'd pitch a whole satchel of yeast and perhaps give it a bit longer to clean up (if fermenting again at 19c). I'll let it lager for about 3 weeks for things to mellow out a bit and sample it.

Today I came back from my holiday. My dark hybrid beer was in my kegerator for 3 weeks, sort of a pseudo-lagering.

the sulphur is completely gone, its crisp and neutral - indeed lager like. The beer also has a nice malty flavour and it ends crisp. a really nice beer! Its nice to brew 2 excellent beer with 1 satchel of dried yeast.

Attachments

• 7B26B1D4-1A3E-431E-97EA-44F2A786D31E.jpeg
    7B26B1D4-1A3E-431E-97EA-44F2A786D31E.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 129
Day three and I thought I'd have a cheeky peek at my Oslo 'lager' as the airlock had stopped and I couldn't resist.

1.008 giving it 85% attenuation! I was aiming for a crisp dry beer so that's pretty perfect I'd say. Had a taste and it's pretty good considering it's only day three, very malty and definitely lager tasting. Pretty clear too!

I was going to give it two weeks in the fermenter but I think I'll bottle it this weekend and get another beer on the go 👍🏼

Latest posts

Back