Lager brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a lager yeast that does not need a kegerator to ferment. Temps outside right now are sub 10C so is there a lager yeast I could use that can take advantage of that before it gets too warm?

Any of the dried lager yeast should so at that temperature: W -34/70, S-189, S-23 MJ M84. If in doubt, go for the W-34/70 as it's quite versatile and forgiving.

I'm drinking my first proper pilsner done with S23. I'm very pleased with it even though I don't normally drink lager.
I used temp control and two pkts of yeast I'd be interested to know if I could get the same result with the MJ Cali yeast...only to save a fiver though!

I've developed quite the taste for Czech and German beers. However, every recipe I seem to find the guy doing the video has every gadget, gizmo, demo control, pressure ferment blah blah under the sun...its no wonder his stuff comes out looking like it came straight from bivaria. At this time of year the best I can do is take advantage of the cold British weather

Just a quick one , I've ordered mangrove jacks cali yeast to ferment a pilsner as suggested above (thanks) when it comes to lagering is a really low temp essential or will it just take longer if its at like 6C or 8C?

If it's a California common type of yeast then I wouldn't think theres a need to ferment it cold at all

Edit: misread, I thought you were asking about fermentation temp.
The MJ yeast instructions say lagering not needed but I dont think it would hurt to store it cold for say, a month

If it's a California common type of yeast then I wouldn't think theres a need to ferment it cold at all

Edit: misread, I thought you were asking about fermentation temp.
The MJ yeast instructions say lagering not needed but I dont think it would hurt to store it cold for say, a month
It’s a funny old yeast. It drops clear after about a week in the bottle at room temperature. I find lagering for a month or two does help with the clearing up process of the yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle and overall quality of the final conditioned beer. It is quite drinkable after a week or two in the fridge after carbonation, but a month is better I have found.

No off flavours?
A bit yeasty still when so young. I use it for pilsners mostly. You can drink it once it’s carbed up but it’s not as good as if it’s had time to condition for a while, same for any beer.
Pic is one I did a few weeks ago, been in the bottle for just over a week at room temperature. That MJ Cali yeast ferments at room temperature easily too, so when in the bottle at the same temperature I assume the yeast consumes the sugar well and starts cleaning up after itself. This happens whenever I use the MJ Cali yeast for a Pilsner.

Attachments

• DB2A7EC6-CA39-4707-A8ED-49A8D1C2FA05.jpeg
    DB2A7EC6-CA39-4707-A8ED-49A8D1C2FA05.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 59
Different bottle but same batch, you can see my fingers through it already. That will be off to the shed in a weeks time for at least a month before I try one. Just how I do it, I do have a batch that has been in there nearly 3 months so should be ready for sampling 😁

Attachments

• 2F2AA11E-EB14-4E0D-A9D5-903A4C588675.jpeg
    2F2AA11E-EB14-4E0D-A9D5-903A4C588675.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 39
Looks good, I sometimes get a twang so I'm hoping that going all grain with a good fermenter will help clean that up.

I have a fastferment with a bottom valve to get rid of trub...how often would you do this as MJ cali is a top fermenter isn't it?

Looks good, I sometimes get a twang so I'm hoping that going all grain with a good fermenter will help clean that up.

I have a fastferment with a bottom valve to get rid of trub...how often would you do this as MJ cali is a top fermenter isn't it?
I’ve found that the longer you condition/lager it then any twang or non-beery flavour goes away. I’m not aware of a recipe that is grain to glass in weeks that’s any good to drink so young. Just a step you need to go through, one month of lagering is the earliest I would drink one but that’s just my preference.
I use a bucket with a tap to ferment so I can’t help you RE how often to remove trub, I never do for any beer but I by no means have anywhere near as much experience as a lot here do. So hopefully someone can answer that for you.

I’ve found that the longer you condition/lager it then any twang or non-beery flavour goes away. I’m not aware of a recipe that is grain to glass in weeks that’s any good to drink so young. Just a step you need to go through, one month of lagering is the earliest I would drink one but that’s just my preference.
I use a bucket with a tap to ferment so I can’t help you RE how often to remove trub, I never do for any beer but I by no means have anywhere near as much experience as a lot here do. So hopefully someone can answer that for you.

Oh I was gonna give it 4 to 8 weeks before drinking anyway

I agree with you entirely, @Skello , I don't know of any bottled beer thats good to drink after a couple of weeks in the bottle, either. As for the trub, that's the hop debris and cold break stuff that comes over from the kettle. Some of it is needed to feed the yeast. When the first flush of fermentation is over- with lager, a couple or more weeks- then it's good to get the beer off all this and into another fermenter. But after that, leave it alone. Don't keep removing the fallen yeast- it's a bottom fermenting yeast so how is it supposed to ferment and / or clean up the beer if you keep removing it? As I said earlier, my lagers stay at least six weeks in the secondary fermenter while an ale might get 5 days to a fortnight max.

I'm just drinking the second bottle of 6 remaining of a batch of Czech lager that I bottled 22nd Feb, 2020. As a Pilsner Urquel clone it's not very close. As a pilsner, it's probably the second best pint I've ever tasted. The best being Urquel!

Last edited:
I agree with you entirely, @Skello , I don't know of any bottled beer thats good to drink after a couple of weeks in the bottle, either. As for the trub, that's the hop debris and cold break stuff that comes over from the kettle. Some of it is needed to feed the yeast. When the first flush of fermentation is over- with lager, a couple or more weeks- then it's good to get the beer off all this and into another fermenter. But after that, leave it alone. Don't keep removing the fallen yeast- it's a bottom fermenting yeast so how is it supposed to ferment and / or clean up the beer if you keep removing it? As I said earlier, my lagers stay at least six weeks in the secondary fermenter while an ale might get 5 days to a fortnight max.

I'm just drinking the second bottle of 6 remaining of a batch of Czech lager that I bottled 22nd Feb, 2020. As a Pilsner Urquel clone it's not very close. As a pilsner, it's probably the second best pint I've ever tasted. The best being Urquel!

Thats why I was asking because MJ cali is a top fermenter so in which case removing trub regularly shouldn't be an issue should it?

Back