Lager buggered?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy7702

Reaction score
Did my first batch of youngs lager a few weeks ago.
When i moved into pressure barrel, i bottled a couple for comparison
In the pint glass on left is from barrel which is cloudier and flatter, on right is from bottle which is clearer and fizzier

Has my brew died?

Attachments

• 15900537081577002024736068789068.jpg
    15900537081577002024736068789068.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 70
Seems fine to me

Pressure barrels are generally better for cask style ales rather than lagers, American IPAs, Belgians etc as the carbonation is much lower than bottling. Bottles are at a higher pressure so will be fizzier and the pressure within the bottle will help with clarity I believe (as will the greater ability to chill the beer in bottles). That’s why you are seeing a difference.

Seems fine to me

Pressure barrels are generally better for cask style ales as the carbonation is much lower than bottling. Bottles are at a higher pressure so will be fizzier and the pressure within the bottle will help with clarity I believe (as will the greater ability to chill the beer in bottles). That’s why you are seeing a difference.
Thanks Mick!
Im gonna put into bottles and mini kegs as my brother wants some, so gonna put more sugar in too!

Thanks

I put a couple of the bottled lagers in fridge, but when i brought it out and opened it, it was flat??
Left a couple in kitchen and they have come out fine!
Not fizzy as in not a lot of bubbles, but has a head on it and tastes ok!
Not bad for a first brew!

I put a couple of the bottled lagers in fridge, but when i brought it out and opened it, it was flat??
Left a couple in kitchen and they have come out fine!
Not fizzy as in not a lot of bubbles, but has a head on it and tastes ok!
Not bad for a first brew!
That's because the lager at fridge temperature is less likely to give up its CO2 on opening since it wants to stay in solution even though they have probably got the same level of CO2 in the bottle.
Which may explain one of the reasons lagers are carbonated to higher levels than ales because when they are served they are usually cold.

That's because the lager at fridge temperature is less likely to give up its CO2 on opening since it wants to stay in solution even though they have probably got the same level of CO2 in the bottle.
Which may explain one of the reasons lagers are carbonated to higher levels than ales because when they are served they are usually cold.
Ive taken them out the fridge, they are ok at room temp!

Latest posts

Back