Lager kits, best fermenting temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Give it a try.

As for the fan, it would increase the rate of evaporation and hence the rate of energy loss.

76000_75698_76859_37291336.jpg

76000_75698_76859_37291336.jpg
My diagram seems to work as a simulation the H and C switches are the relays of the stc-1000 unit so with two relays the same device should both heat and cool. So all it would require is a insulated box for fermentor with hole in top for cool box unit to sit on.

However is seems so simple so one would expect it to have been done many times before. So why is this not a standard set-up what have I overlooked? If three sets of contacts on relay then only one is required but keeping 230 and 12 volt separate likely good idea anyway.

Beer-Heat-Cool.jpg

Derek1,
Just realised I may have confused you. When I said I set the fridge to the lowest setting, I meant I set it to the lowest number on the thermostat. I'm going to turn it up to the highest setting today and see what the temperature is.

:oops:

Right an update:

On number 6 on the temperature setting, the thermometer is showing -4. I put the thermometer at the bottom of the fridge.

:hmm:

Right an update:

On number 6 on the temperature setting, the thermometer is showing -4. I put the thermometer at the bottom of the fridge.

:hmm:

That seems conclusive! Looks like I'm after an stc1000 and a heater....

I have a demo underfloor heating tile 18W which I have used to raise the temperature. At such a low wattage temperature change is slow and of course no real idea how much temperature rise due to tile and how much due to yeast working but with a old body warmer around the 30 litre fermentor it will raise the temperature 4 degrees C above ambient in two days.

I used it in garage which sits at around 10 degrees C in the winter to bring lager up to 18 degrees to get it started it did take 3 days and body warmer and old jacket but it worked. 25 litres of liquid does take some heating once allowed to cool.

If I did not have the tile think would be looking at an old light bulb.

Latest posts

Back