Lager yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
I have just started a lager kit that someone gave me. it did not have a packet of yeast so I thought I would try one of these Lager yeasts. So I brought Saltlarger Larger yeast I brought a 11.5 gram pack and the larger is at 16% in the FG . On the yeast packet says that 11.5 is good enough for 15 litres but my brew is is 23 litres should I buy a other packet of this yeast? or is what I have OK? I had a look at the brew just now it is fermenting well. I also have a Coopers European larger should I replace the yeast which I get with that kit with a lager yeast

One of the coopers kits actually comes with lager yeast. Have a look in the kit reviews because I think it might be the euro lager one.

When you say the beer is at 16% in the FV what do you mean?

Generally using more yeast results in a cleaner flavour and for a lager that's what you want so using two packs isn't going to be a bad thing. Bear in mind lager yeast works colder than most ale yeast so you want it to be 9-15C instead of around 20.

I have just started a lager kit that someone gave me. it did not have a packet of yeast so I thought I would try one of these Lager yeasts. So I brought Saltlarger Larger yeast I brought a 11.5 gram pack and the larger is at 16% in the FG . On the yeast packet says that 11.5 is good enough for 15 litres but my brew is is 23 litres should I buy a other packet of this yeast? or is what I have OK? I had a look at the brew just now it is fermenting well. I also have a Coopers European larger should I replace the yeast which I get with that kit with a lager yeast
Seems to me you keep asking the same question on different posts :doh:.
I have answered your identical question about Coopers Euro lager yeasts on two separate earlier posts
here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=670420&postcount=4
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17845&page=24

Seems to me you keep asking the same question on different posts :doh:.
I have answered your identical question about Coopers Euro lager yeasts on two separate earlier posts
here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=670420&postcount=4
and here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17845&page=24

I was not asking about the coopers Lager yeast so much more about the free Lager kit I got which was a Wilco Pilsner Lager I only added the last one just in case having this yeast would be better. Do not worry will not ask any more Q about larger etc as you seem to like taking the **** out of me and my family

I was not asking about the coopers Lager yeast so much more about the free Lager kit I got which was a Wilco Pilsner Lager I only added the last one just in case having this yeast would be better. Do not worry will not ask any more Q about larger etc as you seem to like taking the **** out of me and my family
In response to your question in your OP above "I also have a Coopers European larger should I replace the yeast which I get with that kit with a lager yeast" I was making the point that you had asked the same question before in earlier posts, which I had answered twice .
And to be clear I wasn't taking the mickey.
My mother and mother-in-law also developed Alzheimer's late in life so I don't consider it a laughing matter as well.

I am gratefully for you reply. Sorry I lost a bit there I am is still feeling a bit raw about my mothers death. I am so new to all this and have had a lot of help from you Guys and quite understand if you get a bit fed up with me asking the same Q. I should have left the cooper one out of it. I apologise for my outburst but when you see the Alzheimer's word with lol face beside it I kinda of snapped

Ahh saflager then. I thought you'd unearthed yet another yeast brand. good luck with your brew

As you guys know on here I am jst taking my first steps into larger making. (I have a cooper Larger kit but not started that one) This is about the Wilko Lager Kit that was given to me. I did not use the yeast that came with the kit but used a lager yeast Called Saflager S23. It seems at the moment to be doing fine but some guys have said add a other sachet as I have made 23 litres. Will be OK to add a other Sachet while the brew is fermenting. I have just looked at this on the Home brew shop site this is what they say
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Saflager_S-23_Lager_Yeast.html
Should I leave it for now and follow what he says. Because at the moment the brew is going very well indeed or do I take a chance and put a other sachet in.The Temp on my FB is between 14/16c

Last edited:
I have limited experience brewing Lager but i do love white labs wlp830. My Mrs is impressed and that takes a lot i can tell you. Lovely clean beer. Get a pack and culture it up with some DME. The guys at brulosophy say you can ferment this warmer and not tell the difference. Will be trying that next. Best of luck.

If you can find either one of these I strongly recommend S-34/70 or S-189. Both make really good lagers. I'm pretty sure the S-34/70 is the dry version of WLP830.

Back