larger kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer brown

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey All,

Im looking to supply my local with my IPA and have started to look into kegging. Over the last year I have used corny kegs and now looking at larger kegs to supply the pub. I've just found out that the larger kegs need special machinery to clean and fill each keg so thats a no go as its expensive. I was then told about ecofass kegs but it seems the beer needs to be carbonated before being put in the bag/keg. Ideally Id like a 30-50 liter corny keg which I can force carbonate myself and then deliver to the pub who can then use it on their standard beer engine

Can anybody give me advice on kegging my ale for my local pub!

Many thanks!

Before you even think about the kegs...

...have you got all the duty licencing and food safety stuff sorted out?

Yes, that's all sorted with HMRC.

I have been providing Casks for a few months but found it a little unpredictable as i work full time. I've decided to keg my ale instead from now on as I've found force carbing in the past a lot easier to control with less things to go wrong! :wha:

I saw a lorry with eCasks.co.uk on the side. Perhaps they'll do all that cleaning etc for you?

Thanks for the link :hat:

Looks pretty interesting but they seem to be a delivery service? Unfortunately my problem of getting into these 50L stainless kegs in order to refill and force carbonate. Apparently a special tool is needed to open them up.

Looks like the only option is still a 19L corny keg :|

Didn't Bobsbeer find some usable alternatives to cornies in larger sizes in both metal and plastic? try searching his posts. :thumb: :thumb:

Many thanks

There doesn't seem to be much info on those 10 gallon cornies, they do look interesting though Hawks?! Ill research more thanks

Ive just found a few posts from Bobster, some interesting stuff, thanks graysachemy. It seems that there is a way to get into the 30L-50L kegs but there isn't much info on how to actually do it. I've been told about this 'special tool' that costs around £500 which i cant really afford.

If anybody knows how to get into these larger kegs with the grundy/sanky outlets Id very much appreciate it!

Thanks again

So i just discussed my problem with a brewer who said I could just link 4 corny kegs together with the beer 'out' going into the gas 'in', they can then be linked so that I wont have to refill each corny as they run out? Has anybody ever done this? Its seems to be the best answer as I can just fill 4 corny's, force carb them all in one go and then simply link them up so I'll have 4 x 19 L = 76 liters

I've been looking at these but am I right in saying that I would need to carbonate my Pale Ale before filling them? I would have to carbonate a few 19L cornys and then fill the ecofass kegs as I have to way of carbonating large quantities of my beer

Hello,

Just send you a PM about kegs and stuff.

Ecasks are pretty standard for wholesale but cost £7.00 a go +vat. The idea is fill and forget you send you beer to the otherside of the country and down worry about the cask, they have hubs and wholesalers should be registered to return them after one fill. This is acutally quite expensive when you consider this could be 10% on top of the cost of the beer for most above 4.5%!

Tampering with kegs is dangerous :shock: . Make sure the keg is fully vented. Note that some John Guest fittings have one way valves which will stop the gas coming out of the 'gas in'. So it may seem like the keg is de-gassed but its not!

If you are opening other peoples kegs then be warned about the KegWatch! Also be aware that you will have to remove any safety cages on the spears or grind down any other safety locks (depending on spear type). I dont think I can say it enough but make sure you depressurise any kegs you are playing with. Corny's cant be opened when at high pressure and I think we have realised this. You dont get much of a second chance opening a pressurised 50l keg, if you do get a second chance you wont forget it!

Plenty of alternatives out there as well. Ecokeg are pretty good but cost £12.50 +vat. Can be cleaned but the spear is quite soft plastic so risks scratches for multiple uses. Key Keg also, but you need to have the beer carbonated and they are similar prices £13.50 30l and you have to import them!

Good luck!
D :thumb:

Thank you so much, just got back and will now do some research into the other options. I really appreciate the help everybody!
:hat:

calumscott said:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41743

It's where I'm going when I get some spare coin...

I did talk to these today and they said I would have to carbonate my ale before filling as they can't be forced carbonated like corny kegs? If they can be force carbonated at say, 20-30 psi then these could be the answer to my prayers!

Ill have a read up on them tomorrow.. Thanks again!

There's a HUGE thread in 'the other place' that tells you all you could need to know about kegs. Seems the tool you need can be made from an old socket and that cleaning isn't that difficult.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=58785

PS. the early part of the thread mentions free delivery but it's now £25 per order

nicknoxx said:
There's a HUGE thread in 'the other place' that tells you all you could need to know about kegs. Seems the tool you need can be made from an old socket and that cleaning isn't that difficult.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=58785

PS. the early part of the thread mentions free delivery but it's now £25 per order

That link doesn't work I think this is the one

This is exactly what I'm after, thank you so much Orlando! Also, thanks everybody, really appreciate the help :hat:

Back