Leaking Tap on Young's 5 gallon pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droche

Reaction score
I've filled my barrel with water to sterilize it and I've noticed a small drip coming from where the tap goes into the barrel and that's without any pressure in the barrel. I tightened it a little but it's still leaking. I'm worried about over tightening it and if it goes much further the tap will be facing upwards !
I've read other posts where people have removed the tap smeared Vaseline on the thread and re tightened but I'm worried if there is a nut on the inside I won't be able to get it in place again because the lid is really small. Does anyone know if there is a backing nut or does the barrel have a thread on it. Glad I noticed it with water in, I would be having a nervous breakdown if beer was inside.
Hope someone can help
Thanks

Thanks Rob. It's actually brand new ! Now I know it's threaded I'll remove it and put it back on with ptfe tape and order some washers just in case that's the problem. Cheers

When shipped brand new the taps are not tight enough. You say that if you tighten it any more the tap will be facing upwards, well to me that's just a sign that you need to tighten it one full revolution, or even 2 or 3.

Have you fixed the leak?
If it's a Young's barrel the tap will turn independently of the body, just do it up tight and then turn the tap by the spout whilst holding the part that's screwed into the keg
:cheers:

Both my youngs fv's have backnuts on the taps. I had a leak on the one with a screw top. I bought a new brass backnut [ 2 pack] in b and q and was a much safer seal.

Got 3 young's barrels and they're all threaded on the keg so no back nut.

bottler said:
Both my youngs fv's have backnuts on the taps. I had a leak on the one with a screw top. I bought a new brass backnut [ 2 pack] in b and q and was a much safer seal.
Thanks for the warning, was looking at these in my LHBS the other day

eggman said:
Got 3 young's barrels and they're all threaded on the keg so no back nut.

bottler said:
Thanks for the warning, was looking at these in my LHBS the other day
Yeah mate, well worth the couple of quid. The plastic backnut was stripped, and when you tried to tighten it, even by hand it tightened a bit then went loose again as you turned it.

I've fixed the leak ! I unscrewed the tap and moved the rubber washer and I could feel little pieces of grit so I gave it a rinse, put a little bit of Vaseline on the thread and washer and a bit of PTFE tape on the thread. I put the tap back on, filled it up with water and there were no leaks. I put the cap on and used a CO2 bulb to make sure it would be OK under pressure and still no leaks. Thanks for you're replies. I'm so relieved I noticed it now, reading other posts it sounds a bit stressful when the barrel is full of beer.

Cheers

Back