Leon103's brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, the Oatmeal stout recipes I all look at vary massively, Greg Hughes is similar to yours with about 250 oats and choc (although I think he has a lot less roasted)

and some I see have like 800 grams of oats in 500 crystal 300 chocolate and 150 roasted.. Its like one extreme or the other!

@hoddy would you think in the region of maybe not 800 grams but a high amount of oats like that is not outragous and viable?

Mine was based on the Greg Hughes recipe. I did think of adding 500g of oats but was worried about them going stale when oxygen is added at bottling time.

Mine was based on the Greg Hughes recipe. I did think of adding 500g of oats but was worried about them going stale when oxygen is added at bottling time.

Sorry Mate not sure I follow, what do you mean by that? Why would more in the mash oats make the stout go stale (or riskier to go stale)?

Looks good, the Oatmeal stout recipes I all look at vary massively, Greg Hughes is similar to yours with about 250 oats and choc (although I think he has a lot less roasted)

and some I see have like 800 grams of oats in 500 crystal 300 chocolate and 150 roasted.. Its like one extreme or the other!

@hoddy would you think in the region of maybe not 800 grams but a high amount of oats like that is not outragous and viable?

Yeah for sure. Not outrageous at al.
I've got a Vermont IPA on the go at the moment and I went with 500g of oats in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Mate not sure I follow, what do you mean by that? Why would more in the mash oats make the stout go stale (or riskier to go stale)?

In gregs book he says be careful not to splash/add oxygen at bottling time because there is a risk of the oats makin the beer stale. Thought if I had more oats there was more chance of this happening

In gregs book he says be careful not to splash/add oxygen at bottling time because there is a risk of the oats makin the beer stale. Thought if I had more oats there was more chance of this happening

I read that too, but did not immediately find the reference. :lol:

But since both of us believe, it must be true.

So from BYO

http://byo.com/hops/item/1189-oatmeal-stout-style

"Oxidation: Some brewers have found that oatmeal stout oxidizes (stales) more readily than other styles, possibly because of the extra fat content from the oats. Be especially careful not to aerate the beer during or after fermentation, particularly in transfers and bottling. After fermentation has begun, the yeast metabolize anaerobically so the oxygen is unnecessary. Also, leave no more than 1 to 1.5 inches of air space in bottles. The more air space, the greater the tendency of the beer to oxidize and spoil."

SO I am guessing maybe qty could have an effect but Oats in general appear to just make it a bit more vulnerable... maybe

Sounds good anyway Leon interested to see how it turns out... planning my own a week today!!

I tried the Paterbier this evening - Its been two weeks in the bottle.

I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much but I think with a few more weeks conditioning it can be a lovely drop. Slightly aroma, can't quite put my finger on what it is and it tastes nice, a bit like the Belgian blonde I made. Plenty of fizz and it had a decent head all the way to the end. I think my lager drinking friends will like it.

Bottled the stout today and I don't know whether its because I am feeling under the weather but it didn't turn out as expected.

Despite being a tad ill I thought I would get it done, its was mostly going into mini kegs (3) so what could go wrong?

Kegs were straight forward but bottling wasn't. I got everything ready including my priming sugar and even boiled the kettle ready to stick it on the hob, but for some reason I went outside and started bottling. No problem I thought, I can add sugar directly to the bottles. After doing the 8th bottle I realised I was priming with 4g per bottle not 4g per litre. So its going to be a very fizzy stout, managed to bottle two correctly so will save those for bottle swaps.

Just pour the fizzy ones into a jug and then back into the glass or transfer between jug and jug to degass it a bit then dump in the glass when about right and they shoudl be fine.

Or you could wait a few days and then recap them or something :-?

Just opened one of the over primed oatmeal stout. It's been 14 days in the warm and just 30 minutes in the fridge. Nice pint but can do with a few more weeks conditioning. Still a bit bitter which usually settles out. Poured a nice head but it's only a little left with a 1/3 pint left. Not overly fizzy so over priming wasn't an issue.

I bottled mine thursday sipped the fermented beer, tastes nice but mines come out a tad stronger than anticipated (6%)

It is promising but I think it like yours will benefit from some time conditioning..

Did this brew last night.

Recipe idea came from tasting a Rosemary and Simcoe bottle sent to me by @Hoddy. I slightly amended it to this.

Brew night went well. Best yet, no issues at all, everything went to plan.

Overshot the OG, ended up 1.058 so 79% efficiency. Should end up at 6.1%.

Did take many pictures but here are the grains, 10 minute additions and the steeping hops. First taste is very strong Rosemary but that will ferment out.

First time using this yeast.

rosemary2.png

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

Looks good mate.
I really liked Hoody's rosemary/simcoe brew too - sure yours will come out well.
I was thinking of doing a fresh coriander leaf & Motueka inspired by Hoddy's brew.

Last edited:
Back