Liz Truss has promised to announce a plan to deal with soaring energy costs within a week

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
France has a lot of their nuclear power stations stood down at the moment being repaired. We generated over 42% eco energy in the summer. My price per kilowatt is I dare not look. My sisters pad in France its about 10p per kilowatt. Someone somewhere is taking the p----. The rich get richer the poor poorer.
Never agreed with P.Morgan much but little I can disagree with here

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone I know ow who uses ground source says its terrible on a domestic level.
Probably is.

This is big business though. And they are rolling out loads of green energy solutions to big businesses. He's meeting people from France and Germany next week. She's pretty busy at the minute to say the least.

People have forgot to mention that EDF is taking the french government to court as it is costing it billions to supply energy at a huge loss ,of course the energy it supplies us is not capped ,

My father in law died 8 year's ago and left my wife a nice sum of money. She decided she wanted to fit solar panels but I was skeptical as our roof is east-west facing. Like a true loyal wife she did it anyway. With what we have saved on the bills and the money they have paid us for the excess we sell back to them the panels have now paid for themselves. With recent events we decided to invest in storage batteries as the amount per KW they pay you is a lot less than what they sell to you. The last 3 months have bought around £6 per month, plus the standing charge, and still managed to "sell" them £300's wort of energy at the same time. This has been a good summer but I know over the year we are still better off.

My father in law died 8 year's ago and left my wife a nice sum of money. She decided she wanted to fit solar panels but I was skeptical as our roof is east-west facing. Like a true loyal wife she did it anyway. With what we have saved on the bills and the money they have paid us for the excess we sell back to them the panels have now paid for themselves. With recent events we decided to invest in storage batteries as the amount per KW they pay you is a lot less than what they sell to you. The last 3 months have bought around £6 per month, plus the standing charge, and still managed to "sell" them £300's wort of energy at the same time. This has been a good summer but I know over the year we are still better off.
You were fortunate to have installed the panels when the Feed in Tariff was running. However the scheme was scrapped 2019 and replaced with Smart Export Guarantee. The previous FiT was approx 15p/kWh. Now I've been told if I install solar the Smart Export Guarantee I'll get 1.5p/kWh for supplying the electricity company, who will then sell it at 66p/kWh from Oct 1st.

She'going to just give the energy companies more of our tax money, instead of dealing with their blatant profiteering.
Even more give aways to energy companies. They have the government by the balls

A big announcement tomorrow i doubt many of us will be doing cartwheels when we hear it.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights: Liz Truss shelves plans to reform human rights law​

Liz Truss's government has shelved plans for a law designed to give ministers the power to ignore human rights rulings from the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
The Bill of Rights bill, championed by former Justice Secretary Dominic Raab, was due back before Parliament.
Mr Raab said the bill would reassert the primacy of UK law on human rights cases.
But a source said the bill is unlikely to progress in its current form.
A source told BBC political editor Chris Mason that Ms Truss's new administration was "reviewing the most effective means to deliver objectives through our legislative agenda".

The Bill of Rights bill was intended to make clear that the UK's Supreme Court had legal supremacy and ECHR decisions did not always need to be followed by British courts.
The bill also contained measures to strengthen free speech and make it easier to deport foreign criminals by restricting their right to appeal using human rights arguments.
Earlier this year, the ECHR - which is based in Strasbourg - blocked the British government's plans to send migrants to Rwanda.
During the Tory leadership campaign, Liz Truss promised to strengthen the Bill of Rights to provide a "sound legal basis" to tackle illegal migration.
But on Wednesday, Downing Street declined to guarantee that a new Bill of Rights will be introduced during the current Parliament.

Full article -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62818286

A big announcement tomorrow i doubt many of us will be doing cartwheels when we hear it.

No doubt the option she takes means we are paying back any credit/discount for years to come. If it is the case then I rather pay it now. Make it optional

On a side note I notice heating oil as risen 16p in the last month.

It's the same old cycle repeated.
Tories get into power, take out enormous loans left right and centre to prop up their business mates and sell off national assets like power, water, rail and the NHS.

Then labour come into power with enormous debts, no money and no services trying to pay off unfeasible levels of national debt..

Then the Tories blame them for the obvious consequences their own mess.

Oh, and then the Tories bash down every labour plan saying you can't pay for it without some magic money tree, yet find a billion pounds down the back of the downing Street sofa whenever the DUP needs bribing to form an alliance and the odd hundred billion when they need it at the end of a summer of doing nothing. Bunch of sorry hypocrites.

I’m not sure it’s effective/respected anyway in real terms.
I’m sure the US, Canada, are not signatories, and I thought it just applied to just member states.
Isn’t Russia out or leaving? Didn’t Greece leave years ago?

It's the same old cycle repeated.
Tories get into power, take out enormous loans left right and centre to prop up their business mates and sell off national assets like power, water, rail and the NHS.

Then labour come into power with enormous debts, no money and no services trying to pay off unfeasible levels of national debt..

Then the Tories blame them for the obvious consequences their own mess.

Oh, and then the Tories bash down every labour plan saying you can't pay for it without some magic money tree, yet find a billion pounds down the back of the downing Street sofa whenever the DUP needs bribing to form an alliance and the odd hundred billion when they need it at the end of a summer of doing nothing. Bunch of sorry hypocrites.
Thirty-seven billion on an app that didn't work!

I did look and check the numbers when I first came across this and they seemed to run true, though this was a few weeks ago now . I do note that the 300% UK rise is now out of date, my electricity 31/12/2021 16.5p/kWh, 01/10/2022 is to be 66p/kWh, 400% rise.
This one shows a source if you open it.
View attachment 74457
Interesting to note that the prices start to surge in this country in Sept 2021, Ukraine wasn't at war until Feb 2022.
The storage of gas in the UK is far lower than neighbouring countries and this had been highlighted as a problem, but strangely the tory government didn't heed the report, (reminds one of the pandemic preparation report? But as Boris claimed its labours fault, Like the lack of nuclear power

But as Boris claimed its labours fault, Like the lack of nuclear power
That's Boris' entire life mantra. Rules don't apply to me, I can just deny everything, it is always someone-else's fault.

A pub (Northamptonshire, I think) posted on Twitter the other day that their energy bill had been around £7k. The new quote is £61k. That, almost certainly, becomes an unsustainable business overnight. Now repeat that across every pub, restaurant, cafe, fish & chip shop, factory and retail outlet across the UK. The landscape of our country is going to be changed forever unless something gives. The problem is, the 'giving' is going to make furlough look like a picnic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back