Low abv brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next i'm brewing a low abv IPA. I found somewhere online a technique for doing it where you mash at somethign like 72oC (not strike but mash!) to get a full bodied beer then to keep the tannins at bay by sparge at 65oC. It sounds interesting and i'll be interested to find out if it works as on week nights I would rather have 2 bottles of something weak and quaffable than one bottle up around 5-6%. I'll try to find it out again when I get more time.

GW's brew's Robinsons Old Stockpot = 3.4% : Hydes Original Bitter = 3.4% : Hydes Dark Mild = 3.3% : Jennings Dark Mild 3.3%

wouldn't take much to reduce those down a bit.....

You should really have put a warning on this thread Rob... poor old GA's going to have palpatations.

I'm not keen on mild or beers with lots of crystal or roast malts.
If I were going to brew a low abv beer, my choice would be mostly pale malt with some carapils, maybe a touch of crystal.
Mash temp on the high side and aim for an OG of around 1038 with FG 1010/1012.
I like things on the hoppy side, so I wouldn't be shy there :D
I'm buying a beer called Hop Studio Blonde at the moment.....it's only 3.8% abv, but drinks like something around 5% and tastes lovely. I'm going to have a bash at something like this in the not too distant future.
Have a good one whatever you go with.

Hopping with Galaxy improves mouth feel as its quite an oily hop. Also shove some oats in there. Done some good 3.3% pales with oats and lots of galaxy.

D

hm, lots of good info, thanks :)
i think high hopping, high mash temp and lots of crystal may be on the cards...I guess with this beer you have got to take every step possible to get body in there. I've had some really crappy low abv beers, thin and tasteless.

I brewed the following yesterday, thought it fitted in well with the theme of this thread:

Centennial Red Session IPA

1.5kg Maris Otter
1.25kg Munich Malt
250g Dark Crystal
250g Wheat Malt

Brewlength: 23L
OG: 1.035
Strike: 12L @ 78oC (corrected with one camden tablet and 2tsp gypsum)
Mash: 90 min a 71oC
Sparge: Up to 23L with 65oC liquor

Boil: 60 min
@60 - 5g Centennial Leaf 13.5%AA
@15 - 10g Centennial Leaf 13.5%AA
@10 - 20g Centennial Leaf 13.5%AA
@5 - 20g Centennial Leaf 13.5%AA
@0 - 10g Centennial Leaf 13.5%AA

EIBU: 42
Yeast: Safale S-04 Rehydrated + 1/2 tsp Yeast Vit Nutrient
Ferment: 20oC

With me experimenting with the Mashing high but sparging low I didn't want to push the OG too low incase my final gravity stays ridiculously high (I do actually watn some alcohol in there!)

crE said:
Quality. Let us know how it turns out :D

Just saw your new thread on a similar subject and it reminded me of this one. I racked it off into secondary to dry hop on Saturday and all seems to have worked well. From the sample I tried I couldn't taste any tannins from the unorthodox mashing and sparging temperatures, It wasn't overly sweet from the malts used or a low attentuation. It had fallen to 1.010 (3.15% I make it) and tasted a lot more like an american IPA of regular strength. Bottling on saturday so will try to keep the updates coming (but I may need a nudge!).

piddledribble said:
You should really have put a warning on this thread Rob... poor old GA's going to have palpatations.

heart-attack.jpg

BIG BUNCH OF GIRLS BLOUSES THE LOT OF YOU

piddledribble said:
GW's brew's Robinsons Old Stockpot = 3.4% : Hydes Original Bitter = 3.4% : Hydes Dark Mild = 3.3% : Jennings Dark Mild 3.3%
Good for Shandies IMHO well probably all they are good for. Should have mention Willy Lees 3.3% offerings as well. :lol: :lol:

boozy_shoes said:
as on week nights I would rather have 2 bottles of something weak and quaffable than one bottle up around 5-6%.

See I am the opposite 1 bottle of something that you can savour and sup does me fine. :thumb:

No expert but the hoppy route seems a good option, if you like that kind of thing. Buxton Moor Top is 3.6%, very hoppy and bitter, lots of Chinook I think. I like it. But you could up the late additions of whatever hops you like and get lots of hop flavour with moderate bitterness of course.

I wouldn't use too much crystal malt myself, round 5% is enough for me, gets a bit cloying in higher quantities for my taste.

I also like the look of that Centennial Red Ale. Flavour and roundness from munich and crystal malts, and lots of hop flavour too. You could vary the hops of course. Sounds like a nice malt/hop balance in a low grav ale.

A quickie I did ages ago - using extract but easily converted to grain ( I as intend to do soon )

1.5kg medium malt syrup
20g challenger hops, 20g goldings 90min
10g hallertau hops 10 min
10g hallertau hops steep
amber malt 120g
irish moss
total 13l
Og 1035,

Just bottled the Red Centennial Low ABV IPA I put the recipe for earlier in the thread after it had been on 35g Centennial dry hops for a week. It tastes like a regular American IPA with a good citrus hop kick not at all watery or overly dry. FG 1.010 from 1.035 so 3.28%. I will give an update when it's had time to condition in the bottle.

Back