M44- should I check for signs of life?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengoedbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

After some advice / reassurance.

I brewed up a a 12L batch of a Galaxy based IPA on Sunday, BIAB. Popped it into fermenting fridge, Inkbird 308 set to 19c with 0.5 differential for heating / cooling, after pitching M44 at 22.9c.

I knew of the main downside of this yeast when I chose it- ie notoriously slow to get going- but went with it as all of my BIAB's so far have used US-05 and fancied a change. There doesn't seem to be huge signs of life from the fridge- it is maintaining a pretty steady 19c, once or twice I have seen it hit 19.5 and therefore switch the fridge on to cool. My question is should I just leave it and assume the yeast is working, or is it worth the risk of opening up the fridge to pop the lid and check for krausen?

I've also popped a sterilised bottle cap over the airlock hole of the fermenter as I couldn't find the top of my airlock! As the fridge is brand new and only been used for one previous brew I am guessing this is okay?

Cheers

Personally I have no qualms about taking the lid off if I suspect that something is not right, although I do try to sensibly minimise the time it is off. Intervention may be required. In your case you may just have a leaky lid, and so your airlock is being bypassed. I now regularly place four strips of cling film straight off the roll over the rim of the FV before clipping down the lid onto it, and this will cure any leaks.

Thanks Terry- if I ever use this yeast again I will rehydrate I think. I also only pitched about 3/4 of a packet of M44 as it's only a small batch- this was the same with all my other batches using US-05 which fermented out no problems- so I will have a look later and if nothing appears to be happening I'll give it a gentle shake and maybe pitch the rest of the packet.

M44 is the West Coast yeast, isn't It?
I always find it takes at least 48 hours before any signs of krausen.

I used it in one brew which will be ready to bottle this weekend. Pitched dry on Monday 6 April. The yeast just floated on top surface for a couple of days. By the Wednesday night it was showing signs of the yeast swelling/hydrating. A small krausen had formed by Thursday and was going well 12 hours after.

FWIW, I always rehydrate MJ yeasts (sometimes even at the beginning of the brew day), because I also experienced severe lag with several of their yeasts. I also used the M44 in several beers, it should give a real thick kraüsen.

This. A few of the MJ yeasts are quite slow starters but great when they get going.

I like M44, I find it more flocculant than US05 but not as clean. I love BRY-97 for “west coast” ales at the moment - floccs wonderfully and is very clean. My recent blonde ale tastes almost lager-like and was pretty much clear by the time it had carbonated.

Last edited:

I used it in one brew which will be ready to bottle this weekend. Pitched dry on Monday 6 April. The yeast just floated on top surface for a couple of days. By the Wednesday night it was showing signs of the yeast swelling/hydrating. A small krausen had formed by Thursday and was going well 12 hours after.
It is West Coast yes. I'm going to have a look in an hour when the kiddo is out the way (she hasn't noticed the brew fridge yet, and I don't want her to!)

I sprinkle the yeast on the wort and after a minute or so beat the bejesus out of it to aerate the wort and mix the yeast in. I’m not entirely sure if this high-adrenalin ride stresses the yeast out or puts a big grin on it’s face but airlock activity is usually apparent a few hours later. I don’t remember it taking more than 24 hours to start.

I aerate prior to adding yeast which means the yeast sits on the foam for a few minutes until the foam dies down. I've always done it this way :confused.:

Whilst most yeasts start within 12 hours, I've found M44 is really, really laggy and I never learn. It's usually 48 hours or so before a krausen forms. This one is probably the longest before I saw any sign of real activity - so much so, that I took another packet of yeast out of the fridge in case I had to repitch!

IMG_20200423_133645.jpg

I have used this a few times and find it slow to start, (36-48hrs) but also find it ferments out in about a week.

Thank you all for replies- if it wasn't for the notorious rep of this yeast for being slow I probably would have not even worried and left it alone, as yeast was pitched best part of 96 hrs ago though I thought I'd ask! I'll leave it alone now for another 10 days so it will have been in for 14, check gravity, then dry hop for 2 days or so when it's finished.

Back