Make my elderflower fizzy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edc

Reaction score
Hi all,
First attempt at elderflower champagne after some good success with a couple of woodforde kits. So I bunged a good amount of flower heads, brewing sugar, lemon rind/juice, and a well brewed cup of tea into a bucket. I was following the brewbitz YouTube instructions. I diverge from the instructions by not adding any yeast nutrient and using a Wilko wine yeast packet rather than a champagne yeast. (Used what I had to hand)

Fermentation started ok, but when I returned a week later, fermentation had halted and SG was at 1.050
So I added a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and off it goes great guns. Give it a couple of days and then strained out all the flower bits etc. Still fermenting strongly. Off to work for 4 days and when I get back it looks to be fermented right out. Checked the SG and its .94 and flat.

Should I prime the bottles to get that fizz back when I bottle up? If so how much sugar do you suggest? Bottles will be 500ml clip tops.

Cheers :-)
Ed

Back