Mangrove jacks Red IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keenbutcher

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried this kit?
Started it today with 1kg of dextrose. Was about 1043 at 24c when I pitched the yest. Would of waited a bit longer but my yest was nearly coming out of the dish I had it in! Now it's in the fermentation fridge set to 20c hopefully be ready for the dry hops in around 6/7 days. I'm also gonna add 50g of citra for the last few days as the few bits of info I've found online all suggested it. Hopefully should be a good one. I had a pint of meantime red IPA not that long ago and liked it. Hoping this will be similar???

Hi i have one in the fv 7 days in i threw the hops in earlier' i used 500g of dme and 500g of sugar og 1052, 23L its down to 1015 so a few more days then a cold crash and bottle

Nice will prob be stronger than mine then! When did you throw your hops in? Says not to until it reaches 1020 or lower.

I checked mine today(day 5) it was down to 1008! I've now thrown the hops in. Do you think this will be too late? What did yous guys go down to in the end?
I was gonna leave it 3 days and put 50g more citra in but now I'm thinking maybe it should go in now as well?

Just popped 50g of citra in, day 7, for the last few days before I cold crash. Gravity today was 1005. I'm not sure it will ferment much more than this but I'll see in time days and go from there.
Smells amazing in the FV hope it tastes as good. Thought this kit would ake much longer than it hasnot quite sure why the yeast has been working so quick? Hopefully I dont run into any problems because of it.

When I eventually keg this beer, how is the best way to stop hops getting into it. Will they all fall during the cold crash? I've not used a bag they are just thrown in. I have a tap on the fv and a tube to siphon without sure what's best to do part from to have thought about it before I threw them all in!

My limited experience of late hopping is that if you just chuck the hops loose not the 2FV they block the syphon tube and bottling wand. Better to put them into a bag and weight them down. I squeeze the bag but I'm sure someone will tell you not to.

Ye I'm guessing that was probably the best idea, unfortunately it too late for that(will do that next time). Just need an idea to limit that happening this time. Was thinking racking off the a 2nd TV then go to kegging? Or even sterilising a sieve and scooping the majority out before racking it off?

Sweet! Looking forward to this! Dif you see my post there about the hops? Did you get much in yours or did you use a bag?

Checked today thinking fermentation would be complete but nope its still going..... down to 1001 now! Hopefully another 24hours and It will be done so I can cold crash. Who knows what was in that yeast! Little big worried nose as my hops have begun in longer than expected, will this make any difference or am I stressing about nothing?

Hi @Keenbutcher, sorry I'm a bit late to the thread, when you cold crash the hops will fall into the trub along with the yeast, I have done this several times now and had no hop blockages in my tap or wand. If you use a hop bag you don't get as much aroma out of the hops so maybe worth adding more to the bag than normal. Be as patient as you can and let it ferment out as much as possible.

I've just checked the gravity hoping to be able cold crash, but its gone down again! It's now at 1000. I didnt know this was possible! Is something wrong do you guys think?

Hi @Keenbutcher, one thing to try for me is have you tested your hydrometer in just water, it should read if the water you are using is 20DegC 1.000, sometimes the hydrometers are faulty and the label inside slips down so can you test it in just water to be sure. athumb..

I'm pretty sure I've read it right...... anything can be done to help? Why would this happen.

Hi @Keenbutcher, one thing to try for me is have you tested your hydrometer in just water, it should read if the water you are using is 20DegC 1.000, sometimes the hydrometers are faulty and the label inside slips down so can you test it in just water to be sure. athumb..
Just checked the hydrometer in room temp water. Its reading 0.996. So it's out somewhat. Do I just adjust up?

Back