Mild Ale Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a 3kg bag of mild malt. Planning to brew a (wait for it) mild soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips?

I'm thinking of the following for a 23l batch

3kg Mild malt
150g Chocolate
250g flaked barley/oats

Probably going to use Fuggles or Calypso hops and T58 yeast.

Any comments welcome!

Couple of years ago I brewed Gales Festival Mild, used just Fuggles hops, was a decent pint but was best drunk young :thumb:

r0coxl.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12744&hilit=mild

Sarah Hughes Ruby is highly rated.

Code:
Pale Malt (maris Otter) (grams) 5110
Crystal Malt (grams) 900

Start of Boil
Fuggle Hops (grams) 31
Golding Hops (grams) 26

Last Ten Minutes of Boil
Fuggle Hops (grams) 19

1 pack of Nottingham Ale yeast.

Alcohol content (ABV) 5.7%

You can scale it down or ABV it down obviously...maybe just use the hop schedule and percentages...but I've heard of a few on here brew it and go nuts about it!

Curious about whether mild malt is any different from pale malt. Meant to be slightly more toasty, but when you think about Vienna and Munich being miles more toasty than mild malt, makes you wonder if it will have any effect.

The difference is probably quite subtle but probably noticeable if you are replacing all the base malt with it.

To my mind, a mild ale should have lots (>10%) of crystal malt, particularly if it's low gravity, otherwise might taste a bit thin.

Thanks guys.

The problem is most recipes use pale malt as the base and then up the sweetness, body and colour with crystal, rather than use mild malt.

Its supposed to be sweeter and a somewhat richer colour. What I may do is to make a single malt version using just the mild and hop with some fuggles which I know well.

That would give me a pale mild but would let me understand the malt better than if I added other speciality malt and adjuncts.

On my to do list.

Latest posts

Back