Mini biab belgian recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivvo

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first ever attempt at compiling a recipe on beersmith, it may be completely wrong, I would welcome some feedback on this, but please be gentle :D

Og 1084
Sg 1012
Abv - 9.61%

11 litre batch

.5kg biscuit malt
1kg carapils
1kg pale malt
1.5 Munich malt
.5kg candi sugar (Amber)

20g northern brewer hops boil for 90 minutes (not sure about these at all)
15g halletaur 15 minutes

Yeast - not sure yet, one of the belgian strong ale yeasts

Seems like a lot of carapils, usually use less than 10%. I would up the pale malt, pilsner is the classic base malt. T

Thanks for that, changed carapils to .45 and upped the pale malt to 1.5, does everything else seem ok?
I wasn't sure about using northern brewer?

Thanks very much, does it need to be a 90 minute boil or 60?
Sorry for all the questions :cheers:

60 mins is usually fine, if using pilsner as a base malt it is recommended to boil for 90 mins to help drive off the higher levels of DMS. If you just use pale malt 60 is fine. T

Thanks very much, I've tweaked it a little and swapped the pale for Pilsner (after all who am into flout tradition :D ) and swapped the amber candidate for dark to get a more 'leaf fe burn' colour. I've also slightly dropped the nb hops to 18, thanks for your help.

I made a Belgium Dubbel similar to this that I bottled in mid October and it's only now coming good, I was dissappointed the first few tastings. All that biscuit and carapils will mean it needs long maturation.

Going to save some for next Winter.

Yeah I was thinking that I'll have it for Christmas/winter, I have a load of 330ml hoegaarden bottles that I thought would be ideal for a strong ale. Was yours ag, biab or extract?
If so any hints or tips for me as this will be my first biab, cheers.

Back