Mobile phone backups

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A mate of mines android phone died the other day. The man from del 'monte said its completely quacked. Would be the same if it was stolen.

Got me thinking I ought to back mine up. Completely.

Anyone got any cunning ideas / recommendations / software etc.

Didn't he save his contacts to sim and all photos to card? Just be a job of swapping them over...obviously impossible if it was nicked or dropped down a well. Some auto save to cloud but I dunno how that works.
Mobile phones are a scourge...was dropping my lad at college earlier and all those kids were stood there like they had afflictions of the neck.

Isnt it all on the cloud these days? iPhone is. If I lost my iPhone I just get another handset, log into the iCloud and my phone re-appears on the new handset just as it was before...

My current iPhone doesn't even have a SIM card, physical media is dead it seems. Not familiar with non-Apple platforms, but assumed they all worked the same?

Really not an issue losing or breaking a handset now...apart from the cost/faff

Last time I switched iPhone's, I put it next to the old one and it magically migrated across.

Thought all phones did this now, it at a minimum just restore from a back up.

Has you friend got a Nokia 3210 or something?

My android phone backs up contacts to my Google account.
WhatsApp will also hold your WhatsApp contacts & merge them when you move to a new phone.

Biggest issue is with photos & videos.
SD cards are also not as reliable as you might think. I've lost more photos to sd card death than phone death. Especially if you set the phone up to send photo/video direct to SD card.

i agree cloud is the way to go. I hate to pay for apps, but I do pay for Flickr, as it uploads all my photos and vids automatically, and I can use it to host images I want to post online. Worth the money in my view.

Was hoping for better, than a cloud solution.

Was also thinking to include cookies and passwords. Imaging appeals to me & external usb, but I haven't seen that make it to phones yet.

Oooo. . what about a NAS connector?

Last time I switched iPhone's, I put it next to the old one and it magically migrated across.
Has you friend got a Nokia 3210 or something?
How would that work on a dead phone?

From the OP -

"A mate of mines android phone died the other day"

Last edited:
Isnt it all on the cloud these days? iPhone is. If I lost my iPhone I just get another handset, log into the iCloud and my phone re-appears on the new handset just as it was before..
I am old school I like physical copies this fancy icloud isn't for me.

Latest posts

Back