Mobile phone backups

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annoyingly over the weekend I broke my phone screen, got a new phone sorted pretty quickly but because I forgot to pay for extra cloud space I have lost photos from the last year, bit gutted really as they are mostly of the kids. I suppose I could send it off to get repaired somewhere, anyone have any ideas, it's a samsung, can you send it to them?

Isnt it all on the cloud these days? iPhone is. If I lost my iPhone I just get another handset, log into the iCloud and my phone re-appears on the new handset just as it was before...

My current iPhone doesn't even have a SIM card, physical media is dead it seems. Not familiar with non-Apple platforms, but assumed they all worked the same?

Really not an issue losing or breaking a handset now...apart from the cost/faff
Did you mean SIM card? I thought that was for your service provider?

A mate of mines android phone died the other day. The man from del 'monte said its completely quacked. Would be the same if it was stolen.

Got me thinking I ought to back mine up. Completely.

Anyone got any cunning ideas / recommendations / software etc.
If it's an Android phone open settings type backup, I would choose backup to Google from the list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221_072524.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221_072524.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240221_072432.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221_072432.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
Annoyingly over the weekend I broke my phone screen, got a new phone sorted pretty quickly but because I forgot to pay for extra cloud space I have lost photos from the last year, bit gutted really as they are mostly of the kids. I suppose I could send it off to get repaired somewhere, anyone have any ideas, it's a samsung, can you send it to them?
If it is just the screen take it any of the pop up phone repair shops that are all over the high street.

Absolutely most (not all) things can be repaired. Most jobs seem to be about £50. Data recovery is also possible.. They will normally send it away, because they will not have a spider

If it's an Android phone open settings type backup, I would choose backup to Google from the list.

Annoyingly (cos I would like to), I don't think cloud backups are the answer. It's my data I need physical copies (note the plural).

We have just seen above, that the cloud has shortcomings.

Annoyingly (cos I would like to), I don't think cloud backups are the answer. It's my data I need physical copies (note the plural).

We have just seen above, that the cloud has shortcomings.
Pen paper a bit of scrolling and writing is all you need then. And a lot of time.

Last time I switched iPhone's, I put it next to the old one and it magically migrated across.

Thought all phones did this now, it at a minimum just restore from a back up.

Has you friend got a Nokia 3210 or something?
I have, in a drawer somewhere. I also have an N95. Now they were a great phone Carl Zeiss lens, slide out keyboard. It even had a video out and I once gave a presentation in a meeting on it by connecting it to the projector.

Maybe I'm the minority these days but I don't have anything on my phone that needs backing up, I just tend to get a new phone every few years and swap SIMs and the memory card carries the photo over but even if I lost the photos it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. I don't like being reliant on tech, as I have a habit of breaking stuff.

Back