Mobile phones.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sort I was talking about all have to have iPhones as the name means everything to them and they would never consider anything less than the most trendy. They are exactly the sort of person who would use their phone while they are driving as they have an attitude that they can do what they want and have what they want. I've even witnessed a few of the ones I knew in my old work who were like that on the phone while driving.

I believe that is know as 'a sense of entitlement'

And here's me thinking Thatcher allowed the working man to buy his council house knowing full well once he had a mortgage hung round his neck for 25 years it would be highly unlikely he would be willing to go out on strike.....never mind get a moveable telephone! You know what I mean?

Cheers

Clint

I was on a train (Nottingham > Skegness) last year, sitting opposite a table surrounded by four kids aged about fifteen; all with earphones plugged into their heads and phones in their hands.

They were quiet and spent their time playing with their phones, so I regarded that as a massive plus, leaned back and enjoyed my ride. :thumb:

After about an hour I realised that the reason they were so quiet and engrossed with their phones was that they were actually texting each other and therefore had no need to speak!

God I felt old! :doh:

Reactions: Ale
I was on a train (Nottingham > Skegness) last year, sitting opposite a table surrounded by four kids aged about fifteen; all with earphones plugged into their heads and phones in their hands.

They were quiet and spent their time playing with their phones, so I regarded that as a massive plus, leaned back and enjoyed my ride. :thumb:

After about an hour I realised that the reason they were so quiet and engrossed with their phones was that they were actually texting each other and therefore had no need to speak!

God I felt old! :doh:

It's a digital or virtual life, in ten years we can replace those kids with robots and conversations can be done without the need of human input - leaving us plenty time to enjoy ourselves on our phones.

And then they complain they cant afford to get on the housing ladder.

Most home owners I know went through years of scrimping and saving to get on the housing ladder. Young people these days have brand new premium cars, designer clothes, multiple holidays a year and complain they cant affor to buy a house. F***ing greedy idiots if you ask me.Think they deserve the good life handed to them on a plate.

A bit harsh.

I have worked bloody hard in some form or another since I was 16 and saved as much as I could. I didn't go travelling, I buy my clothes in Primark, I commute 12 miles on my push bike and it still took me until I was 32 to get a deposit together for a house as rental costs were so high. I have never had anything given to me by my parents and funded my own university education which in total came to around 20k.

I have younger family members in a similar position and know many other youngsters who are working in apprenticeships in our industry who are very focused are certainly not 'F***ing greedy idiots' and will struggle to buy property. To be honest I find your sweeping generalisation and disparaging comments a little offensive. There IS a very real problem for a lot of young people today.

Anyway, this is a departure along a tangent from the OP and we are all here to brew beer.

It's about time they brought in tougher penelties for mobile use. Saw a women the other day, knees on wheel and texting driving very slowly to junction swerving as she did so. Thing is police seem to let it go most of the time and don't stop them, if the public could send photos, cctv evidence used etc like that trial scheme the met had last year that crashed after 24hrs over the sheer response they had from public reporting phone use of drivers.

A single plague would really bugger up the housing market, fall in prices and make it affordable for all, well those that survied. Always think that it's bound to happen at some point, very precarious enconomic model to rely on.

It's about time they brought in tougher penelties for modile use. Saw a women the other day, knees on wheel and texting driving very slowly to junction serving as she did so. Thing is police seem to let it go most of the time and don't stop them, if the public could send photos, cctv evidence used etc like that trial scheme the met had last year that crashed after 24hrs over the sheer response they had from public reporting phone use of drivers.

A single plague would really bugger up the housing market, fall in prices and make it affordable for all, well those that survied. Always think that it's bound to happen at some point, very precarious enconomic model to rely on.

That struck a chord with me but instead of a plague to free up housing just execute all those who use mobile phones whilst driving (or jail them at least!) and this would free up both jobs and houses.

A bit harsh.

I have worked bloody hard in some form or another since I was 16 and saved as much as I could. I didn't go travelling, I buy my clothes in Primark, I commute 12 miles on my push bike and it still took me until I was 32 to get a deposit together for a house as rental costs were so high. I have never had anything given to me by my parents and funded my own university education which in total came to around 20k.

I have younger family members in a similar position and know many other youngsters who are working in apprenticeships in our industry who are very focused are certainly not 'F***ing greedy idiots' and will struggle to buy property. To be honest I find your sweeping generalisation and disparaging comments a little offensive. There IS a very real problem for a lot of young people today.

Anyway, this is a departure along a tangent from the OP and we are all here to brew beer.

The people my comment was about was people on a good salary who spend everything, like the bloke in another comment I made who bought a £50k car on finance and kept complaining he couldnt afford a house. I was a bit like you, got my first very small flat at 30/31. I didnt even pass my driving test until I was 27 as I cycled everywhere and only did then because I worked 20 miles away. The reason I call them f***ing greedy idiots is because they have the money to save up for a house but choose not to and then complain about it. Not decent hard working people who save up to get on the housing ladder, or even people who choose to spend their money on the good life as long as they dont then complain about not having anything left.

A perfect demonstration of why a ban is the only way to stop these idiots -

1_111111111111111.jpg

2222222222222.jpg

333333333.jpg

Lancs Road Police‏Verified account @LancsRoadPolice

Another mobile phone ticket issued M6 at Leyland the unmarked asset recorded long text message = 6 points and �£200

C5_ZyObWgAIqr0G.jpg

Lancs Road Police‏Verified account @LancsRoadPolice 5m5 minutes ago
More
HGV driver caught sending a text on M55 at Blackpool. Another driver likely to lose his job. Is the message not getting through?! #T3RPU

C6EzPg3WgAEdCKE.jpg

Lancs Road Police‏Verified account @LancsRoadPolice 3h3 hours ago
More
Has handsfree but "doesn't know how to use it". Have a £200 & 6 penalty point education. Plus expired MOT so add a £100 fine reminder #T3RPU

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6EILDaWcAAvN8m.jpg
C6EILDaWcAAvN8m.jpg

Give him a couple of years then.

Just kidding, I hope you have brought him up better. In the last 15 years with my last employer as a good guide, I have know at least a few dozen like that, probably more but i didnt know them well enough to know it would apply to them. I was talking about 20 somethings who work so have a reasonable wage, but spend it rather than have any inclination to save for a deposit.

One conversation I had once comes to mind, in his late 20's and doing well for himself. Had an Audi A4 bought new on finance but always complaining he couldnt afford to buy a house. I When I said he should have bought a cheap car and saved the rest he complained that he should be able to have both. I wont repeat on here what I called him, but the word arrogant was in tehre somewhere.

And there was another one. Regularly complained he lived at home and couldnt afford to buy a house. Took voluntary redundancy of over ����£20k so I said theirs your chance to buy a house. He chose to buy a BMW Z4 and go travelling. To him I said its your choice but dont complain you cant afford a house.

And there are others that I dont like. A similar one is one couple who had bought a house after their parents paid a 25% deposit and helped out with the mortgage. They both had new cars on finance and they would take three holidays every year with at least one paid for by the parents. They didnt take their kids on holiday with them as they said they needed a break from them and couldnt afford to take them, so they dumped them on their parents. Go to Spain rather than the Caribean you selfish ****ers was along the lines of my reply. I knew one of their parents as well and she and her husband still worked but would have retired years ago if they werent forking out so much for their kids. It wouldnt bother me if the kids at least showed some gratitude but said they deserved it and their parents should do that for them. Last I heard one of the parents had died of a heart attack.

AUDI = A**hole Usually Discovered Inside.

NW Motorway Police‏Verified account @NWmwaypolice 1m1 minute ago
More
The drivier of this van faces a fine of £200 and 6 points using mobile phone M6 Cheshire

C6FKlsOWgAQX8Qu.jpg

The police are facing some drastic cuts so this could be a nice earner for them :lol:

Whilst I wholeheartedly welcome the blitz on mobile phone use in vehicles, I was thinking along the same lines. The new P.E. No1 whilst other criminal activity increases exponentially.

Whilst I wholeheartedly welcome the blitz on mobile phone use in vehicles, I was thinking along the same lines. The new P.E. No1 whilst other criminal activity increases exponentially.

well theyve got to get the oney to pay the fine from somewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40079382
the message still not getting through to loads of folk,the amount being missed must be far higher than those caught,money to burn some of these idiots:mad:

More than 200 drivers a day were caught using a mobile at the wheel immediately after tougher penalties for the offence came into effect, figures show.
UK police caught almost 6,000 drivers using their devices while driving in the four weeks after 1 March.
The numbers were obtained by the Press Association under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act.
In March, the penalty for using a phone while driving doubled to £200 and six penalty points.
Under the rules, new drivers caught using a phone within two years of passing their driving test will have their licence revoked altogether.
The high number of people breaking the law means the "key message still isn't sinking in", said Steve Gooding, director of motoring research charity The RAC Foundation.
"Driving is a safety-critical activity that requires our full attention. Hands need to be on the wheel and eyes looking out of the windscreen, not down at the phone screen," he added.
Road safety charity Brake called for the £200 fine to be "significantly increased" to deter offenders.
"Driver distraction is a growing menace and it's worrying that drivers don't seem to be getting the message," said Brake spokesman Jack Kushner.
AA president Edmund King said changing drivers' attitudes would take time:
"We know we can't change the attitudes and actions of all drivers overnight.
"We now have stricter penalties so need to continue with education campaigns (including driving schools) plus more police enforcement."
Details of incidents reported by police:
A man doing his online banking while driving along the M5 motorway near Birmingham
Norfolk Police stopped a woman who was responding to a message about her lost puppy being found
A man using his phone while driving a 7.5-tonne lorry around a roundabout in Bournemouth
A school minibus driver with 10 children on board in Manchester using his phone while driving
More than a third of the 5,977 incidents reported occurred on London's roads making it the place with the highest number of offences
Pressure to prevent drivers using phones intensified last year in the wake of several high-profile cases as well as research indicating it was widespread.
In October, lorry driver Tomasz Kroker, who killed a mother and three children while distracted by his phone, was jailed for 10 years.
In 2015 - the latest year for which figures are available - 22 people were killed and 99 seriously injured in accidents where a driver was using their phone.
BBC News.

Nice one GD, i am sure we have all seen them and the only way they will stop is with a £1000 fine and a months ban and like uninsured drivers they should take the car off them at the spot they are caught.

Nice one GD, i am sure we have all seen them and the only way they will stop is with a �£1000 fine and a months ban and like uninsured drivers they should take the car off them at the spot they are caught.

dunno how I did that?i only pasted a link and the whole text appeared,is that a new feature of the board?:hmm:

Back