Mold on homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
after ive started my first ever batch of strawberry wine using fresh strawberrys 2 days and gone to do the next step today and ive got a few spots of mold on top, is there anything I can do to save this batch used 6kilos or strawberries and don't fancy chucking it anyway,

my first steps was 6kilos or strawberries, 3.9kilo of suger and 3ltr of water, strawberries was cleaned and cut and crushed before adding sugar and water and left in my bucket for two days

thanks mike

I am no expeet but I believe you need to add campden tablets to "sanitize" the fruit, again as I understand it, you mix the fruit with the water and whatever else your putting in and add the campden tablet and leave it for 24 hours, then you can add the yeast
I might be wrong but this is what I did with my elderflower wine and that seems to be going ok, its been about 3 weeks since I syphoned it off the crud.
HTH
Steve.

after reading around and speaking with my lovely nan, think I may have solved it, it was only a tiny bit, Ive removed it and drained into a sterilized bucket, chucked in 3 campden tablets because im doing 3 gallon, mixed in yeast, tanning etc, will give it a few more days and see how it goes, no smell to it or bad taste and OG came out as 1.110 so im happy but next few days will tell

after reading around and speaking with my lovely nan, think I may have solved it, it was only a tiny bit, Ive removed it and drained into a sterilized bucket, chucked in 3 campden tablets because im doing 3 gallon, mixed in yeast, tanning etc, will give it a few more days and see how it goes, no smell to it or bad taste and OG came out as 1.110 so im happy but next few days will tell

Keep listening to yer Nan, son. :hat:

I have had the same with two batches of rhubarb, left the fruit in the bucket for longer than the usual 3 days and hadn't added a tablet, took the lumps off, added a tablet to each batch and carried on and all seems to be bubbling away fine now (left the mix 24 hours before adding the yeast)

I added the yeast after a few mins after campden tablets hopefully it will be ok

Back