Munich Helles Diacetyl Rest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perryni

Reaction score
I have been fermenting my lager for 2 weeks at 10c and on Friday I raised the temp to 16c to perform a Diacetyl rest. I should say that I was almost at my planned FG.

This recipe is a Jamil one and he usually states that you should leave the lager fermenting for 3-4 weeks, so should I leave the lager at 16c for another 2 weeks to allow the yeast to clean itself up?

Cheers
Nick

perryni said:
I have been fermenting my lager for 2 weeks at 10c and on Friday I raised the temp to 16c to perform a Diacetyl rest. I should say that I was almost at my planned FG.

This recipe is a Jamil one and he usually states that you should leave the lager fermenting for 3-4 weeks, so should I leave the lager at 16c for another 2 weeks to allow the yeast to clean itself up?

Cheers
Nick
I do 2 or 3 days at 16deg then reduce by a couple of degrees a day to 3deg and lager for 3-4 weeks.

Just bottled my Kolsch, lager for 4 weeks at 2 degrees but then been sat at room temp for another month due to me being lazy. Tastes very clean no fruitiness or diacytle. I think a big concern is to avoid oxygenation when storing a beer for that long. T

Asalpaws said:
Just bottled my Kolsch, lager for 4 weeks at 2 degrees but then been sat at room temp for another month due to me being lazy. Tastes very clean no fruitiness or diacytle. I think a big concern is to avoid oxygenation when storing a beer for that long. T
All depends on the yeast, a Kolsch would typically use a German Ale yeast, rather than a South German lager yeast. AFAIK, Munich Helles would usually be fermented and conditioned very differently to a Northern Kolsch
A good Kolsch article here
http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/04/05/br ... er-styles/
And an interesting Munich Helles article here
http://byo.com/light-ale/item/747-helles-style-profile
both articles discuss and the recipies include, the very different yeasts appropriate to the northern and southern styles.
A Kolsch is more forgiving of course for those without complicated temperature control.

perryni said:

Cheers
Nick

I've brewed Jamil's recipe a few times using WLP830, and I usually ferment at 10C for 3 weeks and then bottle and store in a cellar, 4 weeks would still be ok. I have found that a diacetyl rest is not essential if pitching enough yeast and fermenting at the correct temperature. I do lager if I have space in the fridge, otherwise I just try to keep it longer at cellar temperatures.

This is one of my favourite beers and I hope it turns out well for you

+1 to WLP830 but WLP838 is worth a try :thumb: especially if not being to careful with Diacetyl rest. Arguably better flocculation too. Both good though!

Back