My plan for my lager kit tonight , opinions please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastie

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello , im about to do a lager , as one of my aims is to save money and still get drunk im going for a cheep drink with plenty of kick .

im sure this wont be the best way but im hoping it well be cheap and drinkable .

so iv got the cheapest kit i could find GEORDIE LAGER (11 quid) and was planing on putting more than a 1kg of white sugar in , maybe 1.2 ? and then only filling to 20 litres.

So what do you think . should i change the plan or go for it ?

cheers for any input :) D

I'd leave it personally. If you want it stronger then brew it shorter...more sugar will thin the body out.

High ABV might be appealing at the time but it'll be difficult to drink and take longer to round off and carbonate. Considering you're getting 5 gallons for the pint of a crate you can probably live with the small sacrifice for a better beer :p

Other option is to add more beer kit enhancer, which boosts the ABV without affecting the body. Mix it up if you're not using the whole kilo though.

There's nothing wrong with your logic, it will make stronger beer. How drinkable it will be is debateable, more sugar will increase the alcohol but reduce the taste. It would be better to add spraymalt but if cost is a key factor that might not work for you.

Of course if you only make 20 litres it'll be smaller not larger! Sorry, I'll get my coat :)

A while ago i decided to beef up a kit by adding extra sugar and i brewed it short, the results were not impressive :sick:
Best thing is if you want to tweak it slightly i would suggest you either brew it short OR add some extra fermentables and see how it goes from there
Good luck with the brew :cheers:

:lol: ok nice one , its an exercises in doing it cheep so i think all use the 1 kg but to 20 litres them and see how it turns out :)

cheers :drink:

Be interested in how it turns out. I find I tend to be a lot more accepting of 'imperfections' when it's my own beer that I'm drinking.

Best of luck.

Well its on , all when well .

drinking my first brew wile doing my 3rd , it dont get much better :)

cheers chaps :)

Picture008-3.jpg

so getting on for a week and its on 1021 i think , not seem any bubbles for a few days ,

that's not low enough is it ?

il check monody and see if its dropped , fingerers crossed

cheers ye will do , if it don't drop i shall be asking about stalling brews :)

i think but will check again tomorrow its 1016 im not sure if its dropped over night or i read it wrong yesterday but have had no pressure or bubbles for at least 24 hours , could be over 48 though

cheers d

Back