N20 bulb for pb?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Can the 8g piercing type N20 (nitrous oxide) gas bulbs be used in place of the standard C02 for gassing a pb? I'm thinking of trying some for my stout I have brewing. These can be bought off fleabay quite cheaply...25 for £10.99.

Hi Clint isn't that laughing gas and not nitrogen?
I would let one of the boffins confirm but I would say no IMO

Imagine that...drinking a few jars of laughing stout..what a great night in!
Would it help the beer pour differently I wonder...with more of a creamy texture and head?

Hi Clint I know they say that the N2O Bulbs are for beer but I would wait for the boffins to confirm this as I believe the gas used for NITRO is pure Nitrogen @75% and Co2 at 25% which is different to N2O, but even so you may be able to use the bulbs you are talking about I just know they are not the same.
Guinness uses a nitrogen/CO2 blend of gas to push the beer through the lines rather than just CO2 like a traditional draft beer system. It's that mixed Nitrogen gas that gives Guinness its tell-tale creamy, tight head. This mixed gas blend comes in a Nitrogen gas tank that contains 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2.

Also for sniffing I believe?
It is not the same as Nitro bur it may be possible to use it as a replacement just that it will have oxygen(oxide) in it which may long term slightly oxidise the beer maybe? as it is not pure Nitrogen.
I would wait for more answers maybe Clint to clarify

I would have thought it would work for serving and preserving. It won't oxidise your beer and it won't carbonate it either. As you've seen from the adverts the food industry uses it to prevent oxidation.

It's used to make whipped cream as it's very unreactive (unlike oxygen) to food and drink and imparts no flavour (unlike carbon dioxide).

It'll be ok for serving pressure.

Latest posts

Back