National Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like some scores of 42, 44s etc. I have nae chance 😂

I should be a bit more confident in my brewing ability, I think....

I had two of those 44s! I also got a 37.

Congrats to all the medalists and to anyone who entered a beer! It's quite nerve wracking to have your beers and hardwork reviewed by judges who are trained in understanding all these flavours and all the styles and not just your family and mates. I hope everyone has had some useful feedback too.

Great work to the organisers and judges! Quick turnaround!

I should be a bit more confident in my brewing ability, I think....

I had two of those 44s! I also got a 37.

Congrats to all the medalists and to anyone who entered a beer! It's quite nerve wracking to have your beers and hardwork reviewed by judges who are trained in understanding all these flavours and all the styles and not just your family and mates. I hope everyone has had some useful feedback too.

Great work to the organisers and judges! Quick turnaround!

Ha ha, when you posted your results I did think some of those 40+s you‘d referred to earlier may well have been yous 😂
Fantastic work, well done you 👏👏

+1 for the judges and organisers.

Don't like those fast sheets, rather some written feedback, I have seen sheets with no comments under some boxes. Just seems lazy.

In terms of my pilsner entry. Happy with the 36 marked down for wrong hop choice for style which I was aware of and beer wasn't brewed for the comp. May see if I can enter it as a different style in the lager for life comp. One sheet was unreadable by all which is a shame.

Don't like those fast sheets, rather some written feedback, I have seen sheets with no comments under some boxes. Just seems lazy.

Yeah, the full sheets are much better. These ones seem to be a bit hit and miss.

I had some pretty detailed comments and feedback on my Rye IPA. However, my lower scoring American IPA had comparatively very little feedback, which is a shame as that obviously needs more attention.

I had some pretty detailed comments and feedback on my Rye IPA. However, my lower scoring American IPA had comparatively very little feedback, which is a shame as that obviously needs more attentio
Same here, lowest scorer was IPA but had very little feedback Other than not bitter enough whereas my highest scorer american amber ale ( maybe should have been red ipa ) had lots of useful feedback.

In terms of my pilsner entry. Happy with the 36 marked down for wrong hop choice for style which I was aware of and beer wasn't brewed for the comp. May see if I can enter it as a different style in the lager for life comp. One sheet was unreadable by all which is a shame.
This is the problem with the tickbox/slider scoresheets that aren’t fully written. For some reason some judges will tick the boxes but not fill in the written bit, so the entrant gets less feedback than normal.

Given most of the feedback from judges is of the form ‘low bready malt. High orange citrus hops. Too high for style’ the idea was that you can tick the appropriate boxes for low malt and high hops and then write ‘bready’ next to the malt and ‘orange citrus, too high for style’ next to the hops.

This is the problem with the tickbox/slider scoresheets that aren’t fully written. For some reason some judges will tick the boxes but not fill in the written bit, so the entrant gets less feedback than normal.

Given most of the feedback from judges is of the form ‘low bready malt. High orange citrus hops. Too high for style’ the idea was that you can tick the appropriate boxes for low malt and high hops and then write ‘bready’ next to the malt and ‘orange citrus, too high for style’ next to the hops.
I think the issue with those tick boxes (and sometimes with the written sheets) is that sometimes the brewer isn’t clear whether it’s a good point or a bad point, or maybe just an observation.

Latest posts

Back