NELSON SAUVIN Ideas for use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Iv been given a 100g bag of Nelson sauvin so need a recipe to use them up.. profile says gooseberry, lemon grass near the taste of white wine..Haven’t got a clue what to do with them other than a weird lager, but I don’t brew lager. Anybody used them for an ale and what was the results like ? Are they actually worth using ?

Iv been given a 100g bag of Nelson sauvin so need a recipe to use them up.. profile says gooseberry, lemon grass near the taste of white wine..Haven’t got a clue what to do with them other than a weird lager, but I don’t brew lager. Anybody used them for an ale and what was the results like ? Are they actually worth using ?
I brewed them in a lager and it came out OK. Why not bite the bullet and give a lager a shot?
Alternatively 88% MO low colour, 12% wheat malt OG 1046 Sauvin to 30 IBUs, say 20g FWH then 15g for 20 mins and 15g at flameout and another 20g for a dry hop charge. There, that's got rid of most of them. 20 litre batch.

I use the same recipe with cascade or for trying out new hops.

I brewed them in a lager and it came out OK. Why not bite the bullet and give a lager a shot?
Alternatively 88% MO low colour, 12% wheat malt OG 1046 Sauvin to 30 IBUs, say 20g FWH then 15g for 20 mins and 15g at flameout and another 20g for a dry hop charge. There, that's got rid of most of them. 20 litre batch.

I use the same recipe with cascade or for trying out new hops.
I’m quite low on beer so need to do a few brews in quick succession and Iv only one ferm fridge so don’t want it to be sat in there lagering for weeks. Think a saison is a good shout

Last edited:
I used them in my latest pale ale, paired with Motueka. Close-ish to a west-coast IPA, but no-where near as brutal on the bitterness (mine was just under 40 IBUs). Nice and refreshing. I would imagine they go well in a lager or any cold pale beer.

I’m quite low on beer so need to do a few brews in quick succession and Iv only one ferm fridge so don’t want it to be sat in there lagering for weeks. Think a saison is a good shout
If you want to ferment at ambient temperature, isn't it still a bit cool for saison? US-05 or CML Five ferments quite quickly, in my experience. From pitching to bottling in 2 weeks on average at about 18C. Hydrate the yeast first as some say it has a long lag time, although Ive never seen that.
In an emergency, I found that dark beers become drinkable quickest, especially something like a dark mild. Not sure I'd use Sauvin in a mild, but who knows? I put harlequin in one batch by mistake and now I use it all the time!

Saison is a good shout.. Any idea on the grain bill, 20lt batch..
Thinking
2kg MO.
2kg Pilsner
200g Vienna
50g Munich 2 🤷🏼‍♂️
That sounds like a nice base for a saison.
The grain bill I use for a 23L batch is 3.8kg pilsner, 1kg Munich (I).
I imagine that Vienna + a bit of Munich 2 is probably similar to Munich 1

Thinking
2kg MO.
2kg Pilsner
200g Vienna
50g Munich 2 🤷🏼‍♂️
I'll check later today. The recipes for the maltmiller kits are in this.
Screen-Shot-2018-07-02-at-10.00.27.png

Thinking
2kg MO.
2kg Pilsner
200g Vienna
50g Munich 2 🤷🏼‍♂️
Musings of an elusive beer geek

Here's the recipe from the man himself! I brewed this at the end of September but used the Lallemand Farmhouse yeast + some Dextrose to try and dry it out a little, also added a Dry Hop of 4g per litre. Came out really well, it didn't last 4 weeks in the keg

If you want to ferment at ambient temperature, isn't it still a bit cool for saison? US-05 or CML Five ferments quite quickly, in my experience. From pitching to bottling in 2 weeks on average at about 18C. Hydrate the yeast first as some say it has a long lag time, although Ive never seen that.
In an emergency, I found that dark beers become drinkable quickest, especially something like a dark mild. Not sure I'd use Sauvin in a mild, but who knows? I put harlequin in one batch by mistake and now I use it all the time!
Sorry maybe I wasn’t clear ,, don’t want to do a larger..Was thinking if I did a lager it would need to be in my ferm fridge (kitted out with heat tube inkbird ect) for weeks lagering..and don’t want to have it in use that long for one brew.. Jersey weather all over the place at moment,, in my shed it’s 18c if sunny and drops as low as 8c evening times

Last edited:
If you want to ferment at ambient temperature, isn't it still a bit cool for saison?
Depends on where you put it. My 'ambient temperature' is our utility room, which is fairly constant room temperature (the heating is still on in our house). But if you ferment in the garage, obviously 'ambient' is a lot cooler.
Oh, just read that @Dazzelknight uses the shed. I've found that I like to ferment my saisons warm to get that funky/spicy flavour out of the yeast. 20-22C is what I aim for with Belle Saison. I fermented it cooler one time and it really lost that spicy note and ended up more like a lager. But saison is such a wild open style, it can be whatever you want.

Depends on where you put it. My 'ambient temperature' is our utility room, which is fairly constant room temperature (the heating is still on in our house). But if you ferment in the garage, obviously 'ambient' is a lot cooler.
Oh, just read that @Dazzelknight uses the shed. I've found that I like to ferment my saisons warm to get that funky/spicy flavour out of the yeast. 20-22C is what I aim for with Belle Saison. I fermented it cooler one time and it really lost that spicy note and ended up more like a lager. But saison is such a wild open style, it can be whatever you want.
I ferment on the higher side, I like those banana’ry esters

I made a sort of hazy pale/almost NEIPA style ale with a big load of Nelson, and with Philly Sour yeast. The winey flavour from the hops, the sourness from the yeast and the sort of juicy character of the ale itself was absolutely one of my best. Really loved these hops

@Dazzelknight Not trying to undermine @WonkyDonkey posted, but I know Andy Parker always looks to improve his recipes, so I dug out the book. Although the dry hop of Northern Brewer looks a tad wrong.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back