NELSON SAUVIN Ideas for use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've a bit of Nelson left over, I'm currently using it up on a brew with a mix of Nelson, Citra and Cashmere hops, No idea how it will turn out though as I've never brewed this before though

Yeah for sure, I do repeat recipes but experimenting is fun, its how I've found most of my favourite brews

I've a bit of Nelson left over, I'm currently using it up on a brew with a mix of Nelson, Citra and Cashmere hops, No idea how it will turn out though as I've never brewed this before though

I've brewed that combination and it's delicious. Nelson is probably my favourite hop. Very distinctive.

Iv been given a 100g bag of Nelson sauvin so need a recipe to use them up.. profile says gooseberry, lemon grass near the taste of white wine..Haven’t got a clue what to do with them other than a weird lager, but I don’t brew lager. Anybody used them for an ale and what was the results like ? Are they actually worth using ?

Adnams-Sole Bay Celebratory Ale
Brewdog-5am Stout
Stewart-Edinburgh Festival
Stewart-8
Allagash-Big Little Beer
Alpine-Nelson
KelSo-IPA
Modern Times-Oneida
Modern Times-Blazing World
Karl Strauss-Big Barrel IPA

So these could be useful starting points for you since commercial brewers have obviously decided that they like these beers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a list of beers that use Nelson Sauvin hops from The Home Brewer's Recipe Database 3rd ed:

Adnams-Sole Bay Celebratory Ale
Brewdog-5am Stout
Stewart-Edinburgh Festival
Stewart-8
Allagash-Big Little Beer
Alpine-Nelson
KelSo-IPA
Modern Times-Oneida
Modern Times-Blazing World
Karl Strauss-Big Barrel IPA

So these could be useful starting points for you since commercial brewers have obviously decided that they like these beers...
Pretty sure Tempest’s ‘Long White Cloud’ uses it as well.

Thornbridge Kipling was my introduction to NS a good few years ago along with Marble Dobber and Marble Pint. Three excellent beers.

Iv been given a 100g bag of Nelson sauvin so need a recipe to use them up.. profile says gooseberry, lemon grass near the taste of white wine..Haven’t got a clue what to do with them other than a weird lager, but I don’t brew lager. Anybody used them for an ale and what was the results like ? Are they actually worth using ?
I just brewed a Neck OIl clone kit yesterday which had 100gms of Nelson Sauving added at end of boil at 80 degrees. Mind you there are 3 other hop varieties in there as well. Cascade, Amarillo and Columbus.

I was in the same boat as you, but bought them on a whim instead of being gifted.
Decided to just let the hops shine and chuck all 100gm in to a smash using MO malt and some west coast IPA yeast.
It won't be the most dynamic brew in the world, having come to the conclusion through many smash beers that they all end up a bit 2 dimensional. But there is no better way of testing how it works as a hop than 'smash it'!

Will see what it's like in a couple of weeks once it's carbd up.

Latest posts

Back