New Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillyman

Reaction score
So First brew for about a year and decided to go for the Mangrove Jack's Juicy IPA. All went well, got a reading before pitching of 1042. Temp was around 21 -22 and pitched the yeast. Its been sat overnight at 20 but not alot is going on. Only thing i can think is I didnt stir the yeast in, i left on top.

Should i be worried?

So First brew for about a year and decided to go for the Mangrove Jack's Juicy IPA. All went well, got a reading before pitching of 1042. Temp was around 21 -22 and pitched the yeast. Its been sat overnight at 20 but not alot is going on. Only thing i can think is I didnt stir the yeast in, i left on top.

Should i be worried?
Nah. I seldom bothered stirring the yeast into kits and never had a non-ferment!

Should i be worried?
Not at this stage. Give it another 24 hours before beginning to get concerned. The yeast doesn't need stirring in, it'll rehydrate and sink. Good luck.

Which MJ yeast came with the kit as I found that some are slow starters? For instance, I have found M44 (US West Coast) to take between 36 and 48 hours before showing any signs fermentation has started but M36 (Liberty Bell) is a lot quicker. I just sprinkle the yeast on the top of the wort and leave.

When you say 'not alot going on' what does that mean?
Does it mean a) you've had look inside the FV and there is no sign of life or b) the airlock is not bubbling assuming you have one fitted
If its a) then follow the advice of others above
But if its b) your FV lid might be leaking (it might look sealed but it isn't), the fermentation might be underway and the airlock will show little or no signs of life.
So if you haven't had a look inside the FV I suggest you do that first.

Thanks for the replies all. Its the M44 yeast. I'm just getting bubbles every now and then so I'll stop worrying now. I've got a heat mat coming tomorrow to keep temp nice and even.

WOW i see what you mean, it's really kicked in now. Glad i have bigger airlock on there, it's still foaming but looks to be handling it so far.

So, fermentation looks to have finished now and I've taking a reading of 1012. I've dried hopped in a bag and will look to put in Keg at weekend.

Had a taste from the trial jar and it was very nice. Happy with this and now can't wait to have a drink.

Take your time after you've bottled it!

Assuming that you bottle in three days, then two weeks carbonation and two weeks conditioning takes us until the 23rd April - St Georges Day! A perfect day to drink beer!

In the meantime, you have enough time to get another brew on and bottled and a third brew fermenting and about ready for bottling!

With 60 litres bottled you may be up near "critical mass" and have time to sit back and decide what you want to brew for the summer 'cos 23rd April plus six weeks takes us up to the beginning of June and those long lazy days of summer!

May I suggest a Lager or a Cerveza?

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back