New brewer brewing razorback ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrislane

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have cross posted this from the beer kit review section as not sure where best it sits. I'm new to the forum (and to brewing!). The festival razorback ipa kit is my first brew having been bought a brewing set for my birthday recently.

I started the brew on 30th November and had an OG of 1.052. Since then i have had zero visible activity in the airlock, but didn't worry too much about this as when i checked the gravity on day 5 it was reading 1.018, so i assumed all must be ok. As per the instructions in the kit i then added the hop pellets at this point. By day 10 the gravity had dropped to about 1.011. It has remained at this level since then (now on day 14)

So given that the reading has not changed for 4 days should i assume that the fermentation has finished and get it into bottles, or should i leave it a bit longer in the hope it restarts to get it a bit closer to the target gravity of 1.005? I have seen some posts online saying that giving it a good "swirl" can sometimes kickstart the yeast back into action if it stops?

Any thoughts gratefully received (and sorry for the long first post!)

Cheers
Chris

Sounds done to me gives you a abv of 5.3
This was my last kit before going all grain one of the better kits i did

Likewise, this was my last kit before going AG.

Mine went all the way down to 1.050 and then I put it in a secondary vessel for a week before bottling. Quite a bit more trub left on the bottom of the SV if I recall correctly.It took a while to fully clear (a couple of months, I think), but when it did, I didn't even realise I was drinking a kit beer.

One of the best kits I've done and miles better than Evil Dog in my opinion.

I would go ahead and bottle it.
a) because it looks like it's finished; an FG of 1.011 is quite respectable irrespective of what the instructions tell you
b) because it's been with the hops for 9 days already and that's usually more than enough; there is a theory that too long on the hops can impart off-tastes although I have no experience of this since I only dry hops for 5-6 days.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. This kind of backs up what I was thinking based on what I had read elsewhere.

Ive just bottle my batch of razorback on Sunday, i'd racked it to a SV and dry hopped
I then transferred to my bottling bucket, I had a little taste of it and it tasted very watery, no kinda od alcohol taste that Ive normaly got.
This is like my 5th or 6th batch Ive made and just done what Ive usually done.
My SG and FG have been what they should be. Has anyone else noticed this prior to bottling?

Latest posts

Back