New brewer in Bucks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim84

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been browsing THBF for a couple of weeks now, so time to introduce myself.

I put my first ever brew, Wherry, on last Tuesday and so far so good it seems. I'm waiting 14 days with it in the FV (will check gravity though) as reviews appear to suggest a couple of weeks is best. i have a keg to syphon it into when ready.

I bought all the kit in a micro-brewery starter pack thing for £64.98 from brewuk. Plus a 50p piece of pipe I didn't need as that made the order over £65 so free delivery versus paying £7 :D

I knew my grandad had a load of brewing kit as he used to make competition winning beers and wines - went to see him at the weekend and turns out he gave it all away to a lady in Slough two months ago, something like 3 x FV, 3 x Keg, DJ's and all sorts, gutted! On a serious note though he gave away his entire recipe book with his winning brews and so on in it - so if anyone picked up all this kit from my Grandad (Anthony/Tony) in Lower Earley, Reading then I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know so I can take a copy of his recipe book and keep the family tradition going :cheers:

I look forward to joining in the brewing talk!

Thanks for the quick welcomes, this seems to be a very active forum! :thumb:

It would be great to find the book but I don't hold up much hope!

He wasn't that clear, I think a local beer society put them in touch or something like that. At 86 he's certainly not into freecycle, gumtree etc! He said he thought it was some sort of wine/beer club in Slough that she was from.

Will ask him again when we next meet, it was all a bit distracted yesterday with babies, meals out etc. plus his birthday so didn't want to grill him too much! Would love to find the book and try and make one of his AG recipes for him at some point though :drink:

I wonder whether he could retrace his action to find her again. You're right, it would be great for you to brew some of his recipe's for him.

Being too excited to wait I decided one week in to the fermentation to take a sample in the T-jar and test the gravity,

The Wherry started on 1032 and one week later I'm at 1010 so it looks like all is going to plan.

I felt obliged to drink the brew in the T-jar; all I can say is I hope it's not representative of how the finished product will turn out!

Tim84 said:
Being too excited to wait I decided one week in to the fermentation to take a sample in the T-jar and test the gravity,

The Wherry started on 1032 and one week later I'm at 1010 so it looks like all is going to plan.

I felt obliged to drink the brew in the T-jar; all I can say is I hope it's not representative of how the finished product will turn out!
It will get better :thumb:

joe1002 said:
It will get better :thumb:

That's good news as two days on it's still at 1.010 and doesn't taste much better! Looks like fermentation must have finished so over the weekend I'll keg it with some sugar and see how things go!

Latest posts

Back