New here and looking for advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan66

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post here, I have been browsing through the forum for almost a week.
I have a slight dilema, I have 2 x 5 ltrs of wine and 2 x 5 ltrs of tb that has finished, however I can not for the life of me find my campden tablets or stabaliser :( they finished 2 days ago, my local brew shop only opens friday and saturday, is there anything else I can use to stabalise them ? I am worried they may spoil if left much longer. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Alan

Hi all, my first post here, I have been browsing through the forum for almost a week.
I have a slight dilema, I have 2 x 5 ltrs of wine and 2 x 5 ltrs of tb that has finished, however I can not for the life of me find my campden tablets or stabaliser :( they finished 2 days ago, my local brew shop only opens friday and saturday, is there anything else I can use to stabalise them ? I am worried they may spoil if left much longer. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Alan

Have you got any potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite, if you have you can use that as that is pretty much a Campden tablet, 0.44 is one Campden tablet

Hi guys, thanks for dropping in, I have visited 3 wilkos and neither have stabaliser or campden tablets, I dont have any potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite, I have only just (2 weeks ago) started brewing again, I got campden tablets and stabaliser and think it has been thrown away by accident.

Until recently I and the majority here who made supermarket juice wines left them a week after fermentation finished for the yeast to clean up after itself, i would not worry about leaving them another couple of days before racking.

The reason i don't now is a member (Roddy) decided to ignore the rule and it did him no harm so saving a week every time.

Until recently I and the majority here who made supermarket juice wines left them a week after fermentation finished for the yeast to clean up after itself, i would not worry about leaving them another couple of days before racking.

The reason i don't now is a member (Roddy) decided to ignore the rule and it did him no harm so saving a week every time.

Ahh .. Thanks chippy, I was just worried that it would spoil, tesco are showing they sell it but never seen any home brew gear in any of there stores so may be jst tesco direct.

Take a look on some of the main online HB retailers for what you need and maybe a few other things that your gonna need in the upcoming months, most are on the ball and delivery is usually only around a fiver which is the price of a gallon of fuel if you had to drive somewhere to pick it up. There are also a couple of good retailers on fleabay, if I'm ordering online i try to keep sourcing down to one retailer even if they are a pound or two dearer than a competitor as it saves on the postage.

Thanks guys, I do have a home brew stall on our local market but he is only there a couple days per week, will visit friday and stock up. Cheers for all the advice and help :-)

Latest posts

Back