New Wort Chiller - have I poisoned my brew ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may ditch this first 'virdigris contaminated' brew now before bottling to avoid any risk. Will break my heart though.

This is crazy talk - the beer looks and tastes fine as you say, so yes tip it away...
Most houses have copper plumbing, I don't suppose many plumbers polish the inside of their pipes and joints before fitting them.
Your copper coil has gone shiny because beer wort is acid, just like water in soft water areas.

acid, just like water in soft water areas.

eh?

my understanding is that soft water has a low alkalinity which means it has low resistance to change from neutral to an acid.
hard water has a high alkalinity that means, whilst it's still ph neutral, it has ions in that are resistant to acidifying the water

any drinking/tap water in the UK "should" be neutral i.e a ph of 7 ish

This is crazy talk - the beer looks and tastes fine as you say, so yes tip it away...
Most houses have copper plumbing, I don't suppose many plumbers polish the inside of their pipes and joints before fitting them.
Your copper coil has gone shiny because beer wort is acid, just like water in soft water areas.

I've moved on from there :lol: and have decided to bottle it. I was concerned there would be something in the brew I couldn't taste or see but that could do me harm :doh:.

Latest posts

Back