Next brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be my next brew all thoughts ideas welcome
Dark mild
Specialty Beer
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.599
Total Hops (g): 35.70
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 20.0 (EBC): 39.4
Bitterness (IBU): 20.3 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (76.1%)
0.500 kg Crystal 40 (10.87%)
0.500 kg Special Roast (10.87%)
0.099 kg Carafa III malt (2.15%)
Hop Bill
----------------
35.7 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

A lot of crystal/special malts for me will be well roasty and sweet but everyone to their own taste

What he said. Also wondering if s04 will dry it out a bit too much at 66C mash?

No. You'd get about 75% attenuation with S-04 and 66C mash so not too dry. If the OP was going for a 'proper' mild OG he may want to up the mash temp as this will give the beer a lot more body and not make it taste thin. The last mild I made I used the gales yeast strain (75% attenuation) and mashed at 69C. This worked really well

Cheers guys some good advice there, I will up mash temp to 68c, not to bothered about abv but I do like roasty taste, I may even substitute special roast for rye malt what do you think

Depends what you are looking to achieve. If you're wanting to have a crack at an authentic mild, that's no Mild at the moment that's a 'Rods user-upper Brown Ale'. I have been looking at the mild recipes in GH and BYOBRA and the only malts used are Pale or Mild as the base; then crystal, chocolate, and black commonly used with the odd recipe featuring torrified wheat, flaked wheat or flaked maise. Golding is only used on its own in one recipe, fuggles and challenger are more common. I'm going to do GH's Mild eventually: Mild 3kg, dark crystal 500g, chocolate 500g with Northdown and Bramling Cross.

Hang your head in shame Roderick, would you require an American recipe to make a cup of tea? For extra authenticity you should use Midlands canal water, I for one favour the Grand Union.

Back