No beer coming from corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Rather excited to try my first kegged beer, til I tried pouring it and nout came out. Am I being daft?

Have force carbed for a few days now as suggested (15 PSI every day for a minute or so), and tried to pour but nothing. I'm using a flow control tap.

Am I supposed to have CO2 connected while pouring or should it be okay? Do I need to pull up the release valve thing at the top to pour?

Cheers
Ben.

normally you shouldn't need co2 hooked up if it has been carbed up all the way. sounds like you might have a leak.

normally you shouldn't need co2 hooked up if it has been carbed up all the way. sounds like you might have a leak.
Cheers for coming back to me.

The regulator had a reading of 10 PSI before we tried pouring...do we need to pull up the release valve thing? Sorry I don't know what it's called

15psi for only 1 minute a day is nowhere near enough. It'll be flat but if the gas is connected when pouring then it should come out.

15psi for only 1 minute a day is nowhere near enough. It'll be flat but if the gas is connected when pouring then it should come out.
Okay, cheers. I'll try hooking the gas back up and see if it makes a difference. How much PSI would you recommend per day for a minute or whatever would you recommend?

We did get the tiniest little splodge out but it immediately stopped. Wondered initially if it was a blockage in the flow control tap

Okay, cheers. I'll try hooking the gas back up and see if it makes a difference. How much PSI would you recommend per day for a minute or whatever would you recommend?

We did get the tiniest little splodge out but it immediately stopped. Wondered initially if it was a blockage in the flow control tap
Full carbonation for an ale for me would be 10-12psi on all the time for 2 weeks but it's usually near enough by a week.

There is a quick carb method involving higher psi and rolling the keg to dissolve it but I don't do that so I'll leave that to others to explain.

If you got a spurt and it stopped then a blockage is possible because it's the settled gunk that comes through first. Was the beer clear going into the corny or did you notice any bits such as hops from dry hopping?

Full carbonation for an ale for me would be 10-12psi on all the time for 2 weeks but it's usually near enough by a week.

There is a quick carb method involving higher psi and rolling the keg to dissolve it but I don't do that so I'll leave that to others to explain.

If you got a spurt and it stopped then a blockage is possible because it's the settled gunk that comes through first. Was the beer clear going into the corny or did you notice any bits such as hops from dry hopping?
Ah okay then. Maybe worth a higher PSI and a bit of rolling then? The beer did have a little **** in it to be fair I think...nothing excessive though...

If the keg is in a fridge check the beer line isn’t against the back as it can freeze the beer in the line.
Cheers. I do have a flow control tap that attaches directly onto the keg itself so that'll be okay

Listen to foxbat, I didn't read close enough about the 1 minute a day. At 12psi I am usually carbed up in about one week with gas on the whole time. then I disconnect to serve and add more co2 when the flow becomes to slow.

Just force carb it. Raise it to 30 or 40 psi and roll the keg back and forth for 1 minute. Leave for a hour or so and set gas to serving pressure, I usually do 5 psi. You will have fully carbed beer to serve in an hour.

I usually force carb for 12 hours at 30psi, I don't bother rolling the keg but probably should. Set it back to serving pressure of ~10psi. Gives me nicely carbonated beer with a good flow rate and not too much foam.

Cheers. I do have a flow control tap that attaches directly onto the keg itself so that'll be okay
That’ll be your problem. Keg mounted taps don’t like pressure even with flow control. You’ll need to drop the pressure to about 2-5PSI to serve and then bump it up again to 10PSI when you’ve finished drinking for the night to keep it carbed.

Latest posts

Back