No chill late hop additions - possible solution?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucus_j

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to do my first *no-chill* BIAB brew (23L) soon and want a reliable strategy for late addition hops.

So this is the "chill" addition schedule from my recipe:
• Northern Brewer 6.4%AA 30g 60min ibu: 23.04
• Cascade 5.9%AA 30g 10 min ibu: 13.82
• Cascade 5.9%AA 70g 1min ibu: 2.45

My schedule:
• Northern Brewer 6.4%AA 30g 40min ibu: 22.49 *
• Add to no chill cube
• leave overnight to room temp

Next day:
• draw off 10L
• bring to a boil
• Cascade 5.9%AA 30g 10 min ibu: 13.82
• Cascade 5.9%AA 70g 1min ibu: 2.45
• chill to room temp in ice bath
• add to FV with rest of the cooled wort & pitch yeast

I'm using the 'standard' 20mins extension to hop isomerisation from no-chilling.

Can anyone feedback and tell me if it's a good/bad idea please? In particular, what effect will boiling in 10L wort have vs the full batch?

TIA!

* brewmate tells me I'll get these IBUs using no-chill

My advice would be to make it exactly as the recipe says. After the last hop addition, switch off, leave it to stand for 20 to 30 minutes then strain into your FV to cool further.
When the brew is ready to drink you'll find out if the hop additions are right. I sometimes (but not always) have to then reduce the first hop addition a bit to reduce the bitterness next time I brew it.

There's no point in trying to pre-empt this as we all have different likings for bitterness in our beers.
eg. - For Greg hughes' English IPA, I had to reduce the first addition slightly. But for his Northern Brown I actually had to increase it a bit.

Back