Oatmeal Stout bottle swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
Evening all

I have a couple of bottles of a recently brewed oatmeal stout that I'd like to swap if anyone's up for it?

This is one of my 2 national homebrew competition entries and I'm hoping to improve on the 24 out of 50 I got for my first ever comp entry (another oatmeal stout).
The beer is brewed 'to style' so you can expect a full bodied, roasty brew with oaty slickness (I hope).

If you'd like to have a shot at beer judging you could keep this till the day of the comp (9th Sept) and give it a score out of 50, and see how you rate it compared to the judges - I'll be happy to share judges score/feedback/comments.

I'm already drinking this out of the keg and its looking like this:-

I'd like to swap these with any other dark/black beer, or any other NHBC entry, regardless whether it is a kit, extract or AG brew.

I'll also be offering up a couple of bottles of the APA I brewed for the comp in a week or two.
:cheers:

That looks good. Got the ingredients for the Greg Hughes version of this which I hope to make in next couple of weeks. I can swap you a porter or wait until I do mine and we swap and compare?

That looks good. Got the ingredients for the Greg Hughes version of this which I hope to make in next couple of weeks. I can swap you a porter or wait until I do mine and we swap and compare?

Cheers Leon - I'd like to try the porter out, as I've not done one for a while.
I'll send you a stout straight back when the other one arrives.

So in the middle of a game of talisman I had the urge to sample Dan's Oatmeal stout. my better half appeared and demanded a sample, her verdict 'LUSH'. At this point I had to remind her that it was her turn to drive to the restaurant (ok spoons' :-) or harvester :-( ) I then had the rest of the bottle to myself.

great label, nice hiss on opening, about 1 finger of head but could have been more if i'd not done such a conservative pour. the aroma was spot on a slight bready but very stouty aroma. The taste was just on the sweet side of sweet/bitter in other words very well balanced with roasty flavours and a lovely dark fruit hint. A top notch beer and far, far better than the stuff you can buy in supermarket, well up to the standards of the best craft pubs , keep up the good work :hat:

great label, nice hiss on opening, about 1 finger of head but could have been more if i'd not done such a conservative pour. the aroma was spot on a slight bready but very stouty aroma. The taste was just on the sweet side of sweet/bitter in other words very well balanced with roasty flavours and a lovely dark fruit hint. A top notch beer and far, far better than the stuff you can buy in supermarket, well up to the standards of the best craft pubs , keep up the good work :hat:

Thanks DOJ - glad you enjoyed it.
I was aiming for a fuller body than my usual brews and hoped it wouldn't end up too sweet.

I did enjoy the saison you sent at the weekend (didn't quite make it onto the RIS - but will try this in the week). It had that distinctive saison aroma, which wasn't carried through so strongly in the flavour, which I really liked, as I find them a bit overpowering sometimes. It was a lovely refreshing, drinkable beer - spot on!

Thanks DOJ - glad you enjoyed it.
I was aiming for a fuller body than my usual brews and hoped it wouldn't end up too sweet.

I did enjoy the saison you sent at the weekend (didn't quite make it onto the RIS - but will try this in the week). It had that distinctive saison aroma, which wasn't carried through so strongly in the flavour, which I really liked, as I find them a bit overpowering sometimes. It was a lovely refreshing, drinkable beer - spot on!

nope you dialled in the sweet/bitter balance :hat:

re: the saison never done one before did try an m&S sorachi saison but that was totally weird :lol: I preferred mine more :wha: :smile: but still undecided on the style. I suspect my tastes are changing again......

Sorry dan, will post the porter this evening. Went in to do at the weekend but the queue was massive and my little one was running wild so walked out.

re: the saison never done one before did try an m&S sorachi saison but that was totally weird :lol: I preferred mine more :wha: :smile: but still undecided on the style. I suspect my tastes are changing again......

I agree about the saisons - I don't know if it was the sorachi, but a mate gave me a saison from m&s a few weeks ago and I couldn't drink it (highly unusual). Yours had just the right amount of saisoniness for my tastes.

Sorry dan, will post the porter this evening. Went in to do at the weekend but the queue was massive and my little one was running wild so walked out.

No worries Leon - no rush.
My beer reserves are quite plentiful at the minute, and it'll be a nice surprise when it arrives.

So in the middle of a game of talisman I had the urge to sample Dan's Oatmeal stout.

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/dadofjon/media/IMG_1034_zpsdz86yrvm.jpg.html

Sorry its taken so long but I have eventually enjoyed your RIS.
I though it had a rich dark fruit & winey aroma.
It was more highly carbonated than I was expecting, but this worked well. There was more of a fruity than roasty flavour with a nice dark caramel aftertaste and sweetish finish.
Very nice, umptious brew :hat:and makes me want to try a high ABV soon.
Thanks for the swap!

I can swap you a porter

I've also enjoyed this one now.
It was darker than I was expecting - almost black.
I thought it had a smooth, mild roasty coffee flavour with aroma to match.
It was very quaffable - not overly bitter but dry finishing, making it very easy drinking without being thin. Could easily sink a few of these - how strong is it?
Thanks for the swap!

I've also enjoyed this one now.
It was darker than I was expecting - almost black.
I thought it had a smooth, mild roasty coffee flavour with aroma to match.
It was very quaffable - not overly bitter but dry finishing, making it very easy drinking without being thin. Could easily sink a few of these - how strong is it?
Thanks for the swap!

It came in at 3.8% before priming so around the 4 mark. It was designed as a quaffable porter. Glad it went down ok. I did put some vanilla pods in for 4 days during fermentation but needed a lot more to make a difference.

Sorry its taken so long but I have eventually enjoyed your RIS.
I though it had a rich dark fruit & winey aroma.
It was more highly carbonated than I was expecting, but this worked well. There was more of a fruity than roasty flavour with a nice dark caramel aftertaste and sweetish finish.
Very nice, umptious brew :hat:and makes me want to try a high ABV soon.
Thanks for the swap!

Yes thanks for the swap really enjoyed it.

I carb mine up quite a bit to compensate for the colder temps I serve mine at. because the commercial ris's - brooklyn black chocolate stout and brewdog's cocoa psycho don't have much head at my serving temps.

I'm doing another batch soon :grin: but before then am aiming for a 12% quad stout i.e. A belgian yeast high abv stout. :twisted:

keep up your good work.

Latest posts

Back