Oats in the mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyW

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question about oats in the mash. The last few brews I've made I've just mixed them up with the grain before I add the water to mash. I've seen today on Youtube one video talking about adding oats after the mash has started to ensure they stay at the top of the mash, and another video saying you should cook the oats first. Are either of these steps really necessary because they seem a bit faffy.
Thanks as ever

Dunno about adding the oats after the mash has started. I've always just added them in with the rest of the grain. You dont need to cook them either (although iirc there is one sort you do) if they're just nomal porridge oats

Dunno about adding the oats after the mash has started. I've always just added them in with the rest of the grain. You dont need to cook them either (although iirc there is one sort you do) if they're just nomal porridge oats
Great! That's exactly what I wanted to hear thanks!!!

Hi MyQul - just found this thread after searching. Thinking of adding some porridge oats to an otherwise simple pale malt grain bill for a upcoming pale ale brew. I've read it gives a bit more body and weight, and a local Brewer whose pales are super always mentions oats on the can. How much do you add to a batch? What difference can you perceive in the beer when you use them?

Hi MyQul - just found this thread after searching. Thinking of adding some porridge oats to an otherwise simple pale malt grain bill for a upcoming pale ale brew. I've read it gives a bit more body and weight, and a local Brewer whose pales are super always mentions oats on the can. How much do you add to a batch? What difference can you perceive in the beer when you use them?

According to the brupaks grain guide 5% is what you want but I'm sure some people add more. They add more body to the beer. I think they add flavour too but I've never noticed tbh. I normally use flaked barley to add body and havent used oats for a long time

According to the brupaks grain guide 5% is what you want but I'm sure some people add more. They add more body to the beer. I think they add flavour too but I've never noticed tbh. I normally use flaked barley to add body and havent used oats for a long time
Thank you!

I've used porridge in most of my recently brews and imo it adds creaminess to early flavour and to both the taste and texture of the head and that it gives a late dryness to the taste. I've been using about 3% to 5% for light and dark ales, more and the dryness gets too much imo but would probably go up to 10% in stouts.

Hi guys, I have a question about oats in the mash. The last few brews I've made I've just mixed them up with the grain before I add the water to mash. I've seen today on Youtube one video talking about adding oats after the mash has started to ensure they stay at the top of the mash, and another video saying you should cook the oats first. Are either of these steps really necessary because they seem a bit faffy.
Thanks as ever
Using oats from the home brew store their is no need to cook before putting them in the mash, just add with the grain if making a pale beer use flaked wheat gives body/ mouthfeel without tasting them.

For what it’s worth I’ve started chucking them in to most place ales now, to good effect. Just 100g, sometimes more, in a 4 or 5kg grain Bill. It improves mouth feel every time

Latest posts

Back