-oc beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauno2000

Reaction score
Have a keg of lager which is now ready to be stored in the cold, i was going to leave it in shed which of course with the current weather will mean its nicely chilled when ready to drink.
my question is will it be safe in -oc temps? what temp would it have to be to freeze the keg?
Thanks

well its not impossible but mine have never froze and iv had mine in the shed for years, bottles too.

Found this. If anybody can explain why the formula has OE but the examples have P, and what those actually mean, please speak up. In any case, once it warms up it'll go back to pretty much what it was before. Probably.

What temperature does beer freeze at?
Freezing point of beer formula;

Tf = – (0.04*OE + 0.42*A + 0.2) oC

For example;
Beer with 10.6%P and 4.6% alcohol by volume Tf=-2.6 oC
Beer with 14.5%P and 6.5% alcohol by volume Tf=-3.5 oC

[edit]
OE is original gravity, P is Plato (which the Yanks and commercials use, but I hear little of amongst UK amateurs)
(°C) = –0.42×ABV + 0.04×OriginalGravity + 0.2
BUT as water freezes out of the beer, its gravity and ABV increases and the freezing point for the unfrozen part of the mixture drops further.

The problem is that if it should freeze, and I agree it'll need to be sub zero to do so, the CO2 will come out of solution and you'll be left with flat beer.

It's happened to me when chilling beer in the freezer (and forgetting about it) though not yet in my beer shed thankfully.

I agree with the CO2 bit. Many years ago I used to go to northern Norway January-March and we stored our beer in an unheated shed. As you can imagine the beer froze. As it thawed out it returned to normal, but if opened too soon, you got foam and flat beer slushpuppy. Quality wise you couldn't tell the difference as it was **** beer anyway, but beer is beer when in the middle of nowhere.

It's an ideal temp but go low enough to freeze and you could cause a permanent haze

Latest posts

Back