Oh Oh...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid1966

Reaction score
SO I just bottled a batch of TC...it smelled good yesterday and everything seemed to go fine...went to bottle it today, but it smelled a little like vinegar...…..hope I don't end up losing the batch....can it turn that fast?

So I did give a taste...and it tastes more cider than vinegar...perhaps the new yeast I tried gave it an odd smell. I will try again in a couple weeks and see if it is any better/worse

I did forget to put a few PET bottles in the que to check carbonation, but I opened a bottle this evening. It is beginning to carb up ( needs some time yet ) but in all, I think it should be OK. Can an Ale yeast give an odd smell off? I used EC 118 the past but wanted something that might not eat everything leaving an arid cider.

If it smells of vinegar then it's probably infected with acetobacter- the vinegar bug. But don't worry. Once it's bottled and oxygen is excluded and any oxygen in the headspace has been used, the bacterium will go dormant as it can only work in the presence of oxygen. The merest twang of vinegar in cider is not the end of the world, I've drunk some great (farmhouse, scrumpy) ciders where it's easily detectable. Just don't keep opening and closing the bottles.

Maybe you just got a heavy whiff of CO2 - that smells very acidic like vinegar. Don't worry about it. Just leave your bottles to carb up and then drink one. Then you'll know.

Hi @druid1966 , just like An Ankou says, I had some Somerset scrumpy this year that seemed to have a slight vinegar tang on first tasting but this seemed to enhance the flavours,I thought it tasted lovely. I've just racked a pressed apple cider made with ale yeast,which gave a slight eggy smell when I removed the airlock but tasted fine. After I'd racked it the smell was gone so must have just been accumulated gasses.

Latest posts

Back