Old dextrose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
hi all
Just had a bag of dextrose given.
Only problem is it’s bbf 9.20.2017 ! Should I take the risk or bin it
Cheers

That’s what I was thinking! But as you know Col am a newbe. Just didn’t want to waste a brew
Cheers

Should be fine as long as there are no lumps or the like in it.

If the bag is unopened, I can't see how this will be a problem. I chucked a Brew Enhancer with a BBF date very similar into an Old Ale very recently with no thoughts of poor outcomes. The food industry is bullied into these dates by the Compensation Industry. As this (CI) is one of our great post industrial growth areas, perhaps we should all pander to its wondrous inanity.

Sugar's a preservative. Kills bacteria by osmotic torture sucking the juices out of them. Mould can grow but only if it's got moisture, like in jam, but I'm assuming it's still all flowy. If you really are a panicker I'd throw some boiling water on it, slosh that in your brew

aunsure....
Only problem is it’s bbf 9.20.2017 ! Should I take the risk or bin it
totally agree with the above - this will still be perfectly usable in my opinion.
Funny calendar you're using, though. Have you got a name for the 20th month of the year? Maybe we could have a forum competition for best naming of non-existent months! wink...

Back