Old mad brewer returns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Barber

Reaction score
Hi all.
I used to be a regular poster on here a few years ago, noted mainly for my insane beers ☺
This was taken just before I pitched the yeast in last years Christmas beer. Using two of the Safale yeasts, this brewed out to almost 1010, giving a final alcohol rating of 16.2%.
I started off with 2 medium sized Christmas puddings, loosely smashed up and then simmered with 3 litres of water for around 45 minutes. After straining the lovely mix, cranberries, orange zest, cinnamon, hops, dark treacle, morrello cherries, 100% coco chocolate and some other ingredients were then added to the mix, then transferred into the brewing vessel and topped up to 18 litres.
The outcome was again a total success and it didn't taste overly strong, but a lovely warming sipping beer.

I shall be posting on a regular basis again, sharing some of my past brews that I intend to do again very shortly. These include Fruits of the Forest (7%), Owd Brown b@stard (9%), Snowblind (15.1%), Depth Charge Treacle Ale (8.2%) amongst others.
My ginger beer is almost ready for bottling now so I'll share some pics and info accordingly. This is a lightweight summer drink at only 6.4%.

Cheers, Will

tube 1.jpg

Welcome to the forum. :Cheers:

If you let me know your old username by private message (now called conversations) i will see if i can get the account working again.

16.2% oh ****! - planning for king kong II now underway. :nod: Funny thing is i've been lowering my brews to 6.3% recently. Still too strong for Myqul i think :wink:
And for me. I’m still apprehensive about buying ingredients for a Belgian Dubbel because the strongest beer I’ve made before was a 5.8% Belgian Blonde!

Nah, if you tasted it you would love it. It still retains all the flavours we associate a strong beer with.:cheers:
I guess after years of brewing, I know what will help retain key flavours and make it very palatable still.
I once made a beer with Alcotec turbo yeast, which turned out at 23.4%, but it stripped all the flavours from the beer and I had to tip the whole 25 bottles down the drain! :unsure:
As posted in Beer Brewdays, I shall be bottling my Ginger Growler this weekend, though this is only 6.4%.

Regards Will

Hi all.
I used to be a regular poster on here a few years ago, noted mainly for my insane beers ☺
This was taken just before I pitched the yeast in last years Christmas beer. Using two of the Safale yeasts, this brewed out to almost 1010, giving a final alcohol rating of 16.2%.
I started off with 2 medium sized Christmas puddings, loosely smashed up and then simmered with 3 litres of water for around 45 minutes. After straining the lovely mix, cranberries, orange zest, cinnamon, hops, dark treacle, morrello cherries, 100% coco chocolate and some other ingredients were then added to the mix, then transferred into the brewing vessel and topped up to 18 litres.
The outcome was again a total success and it didn't taste overly strong, but a lovely warming sipping beer.

I shall be posting on a regular basis again, sharing some of my past brews that I intend to do again very shortly. These include Fruits of the Forest (7%), Owd Brown b@stard (9%), Snowblind (15.1%), Depth Charge Treacle Ale (8.2%) amongst others.
My ginger beer is almost ready for bottling now so I'll share some pics and info accordingly. This is a lightweight summer drink at only 6.4%.

Cheers, Will

View attachment 12764

Now this sounds like something I might want to try for the winter.

Nah, if you tasted it you would love it. It still retains all the flavours we associate a strong beer with.:cheers:
I guess after years of brewing, I know what will help retain key flavours and make it very palatable still.
I once made a beer with Alcotec turbo yeast, which turned out at 23.4%, but it stripped all the flavours from the beer and I had to tip the whole 25 bottles down the drain! :unsure:
As posted in Beer Brewdays, I shall be bottling my Ginger Growler this weekend, though this is only 6.4%.

Regards Will

I am sure it's delicious. Maybe with that many fermentables in the brew, it wouldn't matter if there was grain or not.

I started off with 2 medium sized Christmas puddings, loosely smashed up and then simmered with 3 litres of water for around 45 minutes.
View attachment 12764
OK. So I love the thought of the
Christmas Pudding Stout and may get one of these underway so it's ready for December.

On the flip side, my brain was just going off on a tangent and wondering whether you could make a Cherry Bakew-Ale? Discuss!

Latest posts

Back