One for the bikers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I used to be a biker in fact I had a bike licence many years before taking my car test, commuting on a bike in winter was the final nail in the coffin 30 or more years ago but I have always promised myself I would one day buy another, I have been giving getting another some thought but at the age of 62 and with the amount of cars, vans and wagons on the roads compared to 30 years ago I am wondering if it's a good idea, I know some members are/were bikers so could I ask your thoughts?

Do it or you will regret it, the bike in my pic i bought after not having one for 18 years, i had it 12 years then sold it for the very reasons you state above, biggest mistake i ever made

I have always been a biker infact that's how I met my wife. We went all over to watch the races, Barry Sheene, Phil Haslam, Kenny Roberts, Mick Grant etc Trans Atlantic series etc.
I gave it up in the early 2000's when I was riding bikes like Fireblades that were capable of breaking the speed limit in tick over in top gear but that was not the reason it was that the roads became so dangerous with that famous saying "sorry I didn't see you mate" becoming more too common so sold up and haven't ridden since about 2008

Like you Mr T, I had a bike license before passing my car test. Fastest bike I owned, Yamaha rd400, last bike I owned, Suzuki gs425. I always fancied a Yamaha xs650 but never got around to the purchase 😞
One mantra that was passed on to me from my big brother was that "if you presume that everyone else on the road is out to kill you, you'll be in with a chance of survival". It stood me in good stead for many a year till family and the inability to carry a weekly shop on a bike along with the Mrs dictated that 4 wheels were a more suitable choice.
I do get the occasional desire to get back on two wheels but my enjoyment of summer holidays now have a higher priority than the desire to be a motorcyclist again.
Good luck with your difficult decision though but for me, I'd say (sadly) no.

Cheers Tom

I would go for it as you'll kick yourself if you don't.I've been riding motorcycles since I was 16 and owned my avatar for 21 years before selling it last year as I hadn't rode it as often as I should have as it was too heavy to push up the driveway in the early morning and lost interest until my wife suggested getting something else and got a CB500F last August and although there is less than 500 miles on the as I bought it new it's always there for me and a lot easier managed.I knew if I hadn't listened to my wife I would never have bought again.

Bikes were my primary form of transport for years, and I've virtually never not had a bike on the road since I was 25, and I'm in my early 70s now. And I still have my 748; I fired it up today for the first time in months, and it started on the button, and I hope to get out on it tomorrow. But I do think if you're going back to bikes after many years away, it's a bit different.

The bike in my avatar is a 1979 Honda cx500z, these were known as the twisted v as the heads were turned in to protect the riders legs, Mr Honda built the engine to be turboed which he did in 500 and 650 form they had a 2 inch hitachi turbo which raised the non turbo engines 500cc normal 50bhp to 82bhp and the 650 to 100bhp which was insane in the 1980s, the 500 was good for 120mph and the 650 at 145mph, i was fortunate to get to ride a 650 turbo at a rally at the loders arms in loders somerset in 2006 what a bike the power was awesome, I met this guy a few times before he moved to the USA these old Hondas are massive all over the world even today there are over 26,000 on the road in Germany and thousands in Holland, the 500v twin with it's uneven firing 75 degree crank was not a engine for fitting a turbo Mr Honda called it his business card, known in the biking world as the plastic pig it has out lived all the plastic fantastics, known in Germany as the gullepump, this a good watch

Last edited:
I am definitely in the go for it camp.
I passed my bike test 40 years ago at 17 and didn't get a car licence until I was 30.I have always had a bike. Modern bikes now handle well, brakes that work and tyres that stick to the road. Bike kit is also now safer, and has much better weather protection,some of it even has airbags fitted.I would get a middle weight bike and book a couple of days instruction to blow the cobwebs away.
Incedently my near neighbour who is 63 has just bought his first bike in 30 years.
It's a sunny day today so I think I'll go for a spin.

Thanks for al l the feedback, i am looking at something like the one below at my age i am not looking for something to throw round the lanes i am after comfort, minimum maintenance (shaft drive) and storage, there are hundreds of used ones around but my biggest problem is persuading SWMBO i wont kill myself the first time i take it out.

BTW i do have a garage so theft isn't too big of a concern, i remember back in the day you could leave your bike on the street outside of your house and it would still be there in the morning.

1684059930911.png

The BMW GS series are by all accounts excellent bikes and very reliable however they are a bit of a lump and they are a bit top heavy. I had a go on my mate's and found it a bit of a handful when low speed maneuvering but fine when you get going. Not sure how tall you are but it's a long way from the seat to the floor although you can get lowering kits. Go to a dealer and have a sit one and a test ride.

however they are a bit of a lump and they are a bit top heavy

Thanks.
I know they are a heavy bike but the reviews I have watched say with most of the weight being so low (cylinders etc) it's not really a problem for most, I am around 6' 9 so hope with the seat being adjustable it will be fine.
My biggest problem is SWMBO doesn't want me to get one, this may take a while ;)

I used to be a biker in fact I had a bike licence many years before taking my car test, commuting on a bike in winter was the final nail in the coffin 30 or more years ago but I have always promised myself I would one day buy another, I have been giving getting another some thought but at the age of 62 and with the amount of cars, vans and wagons on the roads compared to 30 years ago I am wondering if it's a good idea, I know some members are/were bikers so could I ask your thoughts?
I had a Honda 175 and loved it. The sense of freedom of hopping on the bike and away with no incumberance of bodywork was the best. Downsides: every juction with a car was a potential accident. That would only be worse after years of cycling although cyclists suffer the additional oppression of being forced off on the nearside of the road.

Last edited:
There's a local personal injury law firm running an advertisement giving away a Harley, a yearly event for them. A short time later one of regular advertisements ran that featured a photo of a horrific motorcycle accident.

Thanks.
I know they are a heavy bike but the reviews I have watched say with most of the weight being so low (cylinders etc) it's not really a problem for most, I am around 6' 9 so hope with the seat being adjustable it will be fine.
My biggest problem is SWMBO doesn't want me to get one, this may take a while ;)
Just buy one and suffer the consequences after!
If I see an adventure bike on the road it's usually a GS so thousands of bikers can't be wrong.
Good luck with your future biking.

I passed my bike test on a 125 in 2006 but only rode for a short while during the summer holidays when I was a student. Did another CBT last year as a refresher but in my opinion the driving standards are now a lot worse since I last rode, and instead of inspiring me to get a bike like the last CBT I did, this time it actually put me off getting one.

Ditto bike test before car. 250 BSA C15 in Colchester 1976 car not until 1981. The C15 had been preceded by a number of Bantams. It was followed by Norton 500, Matchless 650 G12, Honda CD 175, Moto Guzzi LeMans Mk1. Then a company car, & family. Then after being at a conference held for several days at Brands Hatch where I spent most of the time looking out the window watching guys doing track days I got back into the swing of things with a Kawasaki GT750, followed by two Firestorms used for commuting 400 odd miles a week. (still have one of them) and now a BM R1200RS, more suitable for a gentleman of a certain age. I would definitely suggest comparing the GS to the RS. The CD175 & Guzzi were used to commute in London. The traffic was so much lighter then, I have ridden the firestorm in London for a period but the thought of doing that now is NO. The roads here (Yorkshire Dales) are lovely but spoilt by billions of clueless push bikers all over the road. Shed loads of holiday makers on a different planet. The occasional nutter and then you have to cope with the rest of humanity who seem hell bent on killing you. You can see some of the plonkers coming some of the time but you can't see all of the plonkers all of the time. In my youth I might have been able to pick the bike up after a mishap, but not today. But I still get out :)

Latest posts

Back