One for the bikers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely suggest comparing the GS to the RS.
Thanks, I am not too sure which I have been looking at probably both, I chose the BMW purely because of the reputation and shaft drive but any bike of that type with shaft would do me, the triumph triple gests a lot of good reviews but when compared the BMW always seems to come out top.

I love the RS, only two negatives, neither may be relevant to you and one applies to all BMs with a navigator jog wheel, way to easy to inadvertently jog it and so next time you glance at the navigator it it's not the map you were looking at. The luggage is too small, the top box will only just carry a single full face helmet. It's not possible for instance to change out of riding gear and stow it all away. Third party luggage is available to overcome this

Thanks @DJDave

I only intend to use it in nice weather for a few hours run round the lakes, I probably won't even bother with luggage, but may use a top box if it comes with one.

Thanks for al l the feedback, i am looking at something like the one below at my age i am not looking for something to throw round the lanes i am after comfort, minimum maintenance (shaft drive) and storage, there are hundreds of used ones around but my biggest problem is persuading SWMBO i wont kill myself the first time i take it out.

BTW i do have a garage so theft isn't too big of a concern, i remember back in the day you could leave your bike on the street outside of your house and it would still be there in the morning.

View attachment 85580
I had a bike license before passing my car test. I have had several BMWs Inc a couple of GS's.

If you want to. Do it.... And the gs is a stunning bike. Enjoy it, you are only this way once 👌

Still biking after nearly 50 years - Honda CB1300. Owned for 15 years now. Bike number 15 I think.
cb1300.jpg
cb1300.jpg

I'd say just be aware of the risks involved. I only rode bikes (no cars) till I was 50, though I did learn to drive a car when I was 40. Loved biking. But:

My Dad lost a leg in a bike accident when he was 67. My uncle had a bad bike accident in his twenties. My mum lost her life due to a bike accident when she was 71. My wife was hit by someone overtaking her when she was turning right (she stopped biking after that). I had 3 accidents, none my fault, and fortunately none serious (for me, though two of the bikes were written off).

I am sometimes tempted to get another bike, but I confess the risk puts me off. Broken bones take longer to heal when you are older.

One thing I would do though, if I got another bike, is I would get one I could pick up. I started with Honda 50 at 16 - easy to pick up - and finished with an ST1100 - almost impossible to pick up then and it would be impossible for me now.
Just a practical thing.

I am sometimes tempted to get another bike, but I confess the risk puts me off.

I was going through town last night and some idiot parked on the right side of a one way street pulled out as i past i had to swerve to the left and luckily his passenger shouted at him and he stopped before hitting my car, my car has daylight running lights is a bright colour and it was in broad daylight the first thing SWMBO said was "imagine what would have happened if you were on your bike" i think i may have an uphill struggle ahead.

I was going through town last night and some idiot parked on the right side of a one way street pulled out as i past i had to swerve to the left and luckily his passenger shouted at him and he stopped before hitting my car, my car has daylight running lights is a bright colour and it was in broad daylight the first thing SWMBO said was "imagine what would have happened if you were on your bike" i think i may have an uphill struggle ahead.
Stay in the centre and occupy the carriageway.

Good illustration. Although no longer a biker, I am still a keen cyclist. Unfortunately the things you need to do to stay safe - eg occupying center of a lane, keeping > 1m away from parked cars etc are exactly the sort of things that wind a lot of motorists up. You get shouted at just for trying to stay safe on a carriageway that is meant to be shared.

Mind you, as a biker adopting safe practices won't attract the same level of opprobrium as it does for cyclists.

Good luck with SWMBO if you go ahead!

I always rode 2 thirds on the road (no good on a one way street) it opens up your field of vision and is a good tool to have in the box

I've got two bikes, a Triumph Daytona 675, and a Suzuki GSXR600. Both good in their own ways, but totally different in characteristics.
Never even thought about a car license, and I'm in my late 50's now!
The old saying always used to be "If you ride a motorbike, you'll have had an accident, or you're going to..." Probably true, mainly due to other road users.
As others have said it's the "SMIDSY'S" that are the problem. (Much easier to use your 'phone, listen to music, have the kids arguing in the back, etc. in a car, causing distractions).
I now ride as if I was in a car - use the whole lane.
I read a study some years ago, the basis of it being that if you ride a motorcycle and also drive, you are generally a better driver, as you are far more aware of potential dangers.
As a footnote, the Triumph adventure bikes are worth a look...

Modern car design doesn't help, here are three top sellers.

View attachment 85671

View attachment 85672

View attachment 85673
Totally agree,cars have too many blind spots.
I was involved in an accident a couple of years ago, the other driver admitted responsibility and uttered the immortal words smidsy. The difference was I was in a vw passat at the time!
On a bike always ride defensively, slow down and be ready to brake when any potential hazards are seen. You must keep Totally focused on the road ahead.
Where I live in Mid Wales there are hundreds of bikes about every summer weekend with groups of bikers eager to test man and machines on our twisty roads. The problem is the slower less experienced riders trying to keep up leads to accidents, always ride within your abilities.
Sorry to waffle on, I'm sure all the above is second nature to the bikers on the forum. STAY SAFE.

The problem is the slower less experienced riders trying to keep up leads to accidents,
My old boss was one of those, passed his test went out and bought a brand new Kawasaki ZZR 1400, we were going out one Sunday up to devils bridge i strolled up on cx500 took one look at the bikes and said to my mate listen this is not for me and went home, Monday morning in work my said don't say nothing but he came off the ZZR1400 not once twice trying to keep up, luckily the only casualty was the bike

I used to be a biker in fact I had a bike licence many years before taking my car test, commuting on a bike in winter was the final nail in the coffin 30 or more years ago but I have always promised myself I would one day buy another, I have been giving getting another some thought but at the age of 62 and with the amount of cars, vans and wagons on the roads compared to 30 years ago I am wondering if it's a good idea, I know some members are/were bikers so could I ask your thoughts?
it's funny, my brother and I have just come back from long weekend around the Ardennes, Belgium. Highly recommended. We're 54 and 55, I've got a Kawasaki ZH2 the supercharged 200BHP "naked" and a BMW K1300S for commuting, although I hardly ever use it. The ZH2 only gets used in Europe. We were discussing the merits of sports bikes and touring and came to the conclusion that maybe its time to change over to GS's for the practicality, I never thought I would say that.

Me and SWMBO set off to Barrow a couple of days ago to do a bit of shopping, we went the coast road way as its a nicer drive than the main road when we got to rampside the road was closed and we could see lots of police vehicles and tape all over the place, last night this was in the local paper, my uphill struggle to persuade SWMBO i would be safe on a bike just got steeper. :(

MOTORCYCLIST was taken to hospital with serious injuries yesterday after a serious crash in Barrow.

Police were called to A5087 at Rampside at the junction with the gas terminal at 1.11pm after reports of a serious collision.
The collision involved a motorcycle driven by a 47-year-old man from Ulverston who was taken to hospital with serious injuries.
The other vehicle involved was a Kia motorcar driven by a 54-year-old woman from Barrow who was uninjured.
The road was closed for seven hours while a forensic collision investigation was carried out.

Anyone with any information about the collision or witnessed it is asked to contact PC2553 Phil Taylor or Sgt Martin Bainbridge of the Mobile Support Group on 101.
You can report online at www.cumbria.police.uk/reportit, quoting incident number 113 of May 18, 2023. You can also phone on 101.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back