Out of Date Kit - Viable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerlotMark

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just been given a Burton Bridge Bitter 1.8kg kit which has a 'Best Before' date of May 2017, i.e. 4 months past it's prime. Is it still worth attempting or should I get a new yeast sachet to use with it... or just bin the lot?!

Thanks for your advice,
Mark

Hi there,

I've just been given a Burton Bridge Bitter 1.8kg kit which has a 'Best Before' date of May 2017, i.e. 4 months past it's prime. Is it still worth attempting or should I get a new yeast sachet to use with it... or just bin the lot?!

Thanks for your advice,
Mark

The kit itself is fine and shall probably last for years but to be safe get a fresh packet of yeast to pitch...

Absolutely, I've brewed kits that were over a year out of date with no issues. Just ditch the yeast sachet and get a new one.

Yes as already said - kit will be fine but yeast may not be viable. As an aside don't ever bother if the kit is over ten years out of date..the results are horrible!

I agree with all the above - ditch the yeast and use an 11g pack (perhaps the gervin yeast from Wilko or one of the Crossmyloof ones from ebay) and it should be fine.

However, I would also check the tin out first. If it is punctured or bulging, then I probably wouldn't risk it

Hi chaps,

Thanks very much for your advice. The kit itself looks fine - no problems with the tin - so I'll get a gervin yeast as suggested and give it a bash!

All the best,
Mark

And whilst you are at it why not do a grain steep (say 150g Crystal Malt) and a dry hop or a hop tea to give your kit a real boost? Burton Bridge Brewery apparently use Styrian Goldings at the end of the hop boil, so you could use 50g of same as a dry hop. And Crossmyloof do both ale yeast and hops at good prices off tinterweb.:thumb:

Yep....I did a Cooper's Lager kit 2 years out of date ! Got a pack of Gervin ale yeast from Wilkos and dry hopped with cascade .....came out a treat 🤘

Back