Overrated beers

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Guilty m'lud! 😄
To be fair, what I meant was that it appears that some people think that you can, for example, chuck tons of hops in or brew with a particular yeast and you'll automatically get great beer. I suppose that really I was getting at overrated elements of brewing at the expense of solid processes and quality ingredients, rather than particular beers or styles of beer.

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guilty m'lud! 😄
To be fair, what I meant was that it appears that some people think that you can, for example, chuck tons of hops in or brew with a particular yeast and you'll automatically get great beer. I suppose that really I was getting at overrated elements of brewing at the expense of solid processes and quality ingredients, rather than particular beers or styles of beer.
Your pretty much summoning up about half the micro breweries, while a lot of the beer coming out of the macro breweries is pretty mediocre it’s at least a) drinkable b) consistent and c) not ridiculously over priced.

So I would say the common assumption that micro breweries are automatically superior is a good example of over rated beer. Sorry if this seems like a rant there are some excellent micro breweries however being small and independent does not excuse putting out consistently poor and sometimes undrinkable beer.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just because a beer isn't rated highly here doesn't necessarily mean it isn't overrated by the millions who drink it.

JohnB

Reaction score
Lots of interesting thoughts on this one, I fully agree with Clint (post 112) re Boddy's. And what stands out is that it's personal taste as much as anything. I recently brewed a wheat beer, followed the destructions, got a beer which to me tasted like sh i t e ! but I gave a couple of bottles away (daren't give more away) to a guy who used to live in the Black Forest - he loved the stuff! I couldn't believe it, he got the remaining bottles and said if I ever brewed it again, he would have a few bottles off me.

So for me I have one over-rated beer - John Smiths keg bitter - sorry to all the Smith's drinkers out there. But I have had a few pints of John Smiths cask and it was very good.

IainM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Estralla Damm. I used to live in Barcelona and the bar at the end of my road sold 'em a euro a bottle. It was cheap and cheerful, bland, easy-drinking lager to drink ice cold on a hot day, which was most days. Over here in the UK they appear in bars and gastro pubs, with fancy tap handles and branded whatnot, as if it is some sort of exotic luxury, and of course costs more than five times the price.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Estralla Damm. I used to live in Barcelona and the bar at the end of my road sold 'em a euro a bottle. It was cheap and cheerful, bland, easy-drinking lager to drink ice cold on a hot day, which was most days. Over here in the UK they appear in bars and gastro pubs, with fancy tap handles and branded whatnot, as if it is some sort of exotic luxury, and of course costs more than five times the price.
It’s the “foreign = premium” phenomenon. The same reason why the Italian hipsters go crazy for Tennents Special.

dalecek

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a regular Guinness drinker in pubs (or I was); my local sells lousy beer, sweet, keg, barely alcoholic. But the Guinness is pretty decent as draught Guinness goes, However, my satisfaction with draught Guinness is decreasingly rapidly when I start to compare it to the stouts I am making myself! :D , which, whilst no stronger, are a lot tastier and just generally have a lot more going on.
Can't agree more. I used to drink Guinness before I started home brewing. Had one recently and it tasted like dirty water compared to tasty stouts we brew at home

alfajerry

Reaction score
My problem with Guinness is that their powerful advertising has obliterated most English stouts which were better beers.

Latest posts