Packet Yeast Vs Liquid Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeicesterLad

Reaction score
Hi All

Im planning an IPA for this weekend looking for something new or different so I've ordered some Citra, Simcoe and Cascade.

Anyway the question is shall I go with the norm using a Notts / SO5 or shall I be tempted to pay out a little more to go with the White Labs Liquid Yeast ? (Maybe Burton Ale Yeast WLP023 or Californian V Ale Yeast WLP051 ??)

If I should will I really see much improvement and is it purely flavour

LL.

I always use US-05 for pale beers but I decided to spend afew quid on a vial of WLP001 (which I think I am right in saying is the same genus of US-05 if not the same thing).

The plan was to harvest the yeast cake and start cultivating it but that is a different story!

The beer I made with the liquid yeast was the best I have ever made! I did wonder if it was acutally the yeast or the beer itself so I have just cloned my own brew and using US05 as a trail!

I have used afew of the smack packs with varying success. Mainly due to my handling of the yeast rather than the yeast itself!

The best yeast I've used for pales, apa's, ipa's etc has been Wyeast 1272 which is supposedly the same strain as WLP051. More malt flavour than US-05, still lets the hops shine and floculates a lot better.
I've recently made a few with WLP023, I'm not keen on the taste, I find it adds a sulphury flavour and kicks back into suspension when you move the FV.
However I've also made some nice beers with US-05.

Cloning the Yeast I like your thinking Darcey, Ill have to have a read up on that one

Yea Wyeast 1272 does seem to get a lot of praise ...just seems hard to get hold of other that paying high postage costs (£8.98! Wyeast Activator) and LHBS only do standard yeasts.

You did mention WLP051 which like I said is meant to be the same strain, so I suggest trying that. In fact I shall be ordering some soon to give a go.

LeicesterLad said:
Yea Wyeast 1272 does seem to get a lot of praise ...just seems hard to get hold of other that paying high postage costs (£8.98! Wyeast Activator) and LHBS only do standard yeasts.

My plan was to take the yeast cake at the end of the brew and wash it and keep a running stock of yeast for my pale brews (didnt work out like that!). They are expensive but if you use them over afew brews and keep the yeast or even dump a fresh brew on a used yeast cake it works out about the same?

The main thing with liquid yeast is the choice you can get! Choose a brewery/beer you like and you'll prob find afew a bit of poking around what name/number White Labs or WYeast sell it as.

Also worth checking that your not trialling the same or similar yeasts by different names.

D

liquid is defo best since going liquid i ain't looked back , much better beer. make a large starter 1040 og ferment out , drain off liquid leaving yeast cake ,add cooled boiled water around 4 pints shake/mix up well pour into 8/12 300/500ml pet bottles now you have 8 to 12 yeasts each ready for a starter for a brew ,store rest in fridge :D you need a week for this

ages really as long as you use a starter by boiling and cooling water around a 1l and some light dried malt 1040 og around 200g (i think) leave in room with foil as a lid swilling it around twice a day for 3 days around about pitch direct into brew (or remove liquid then use wort to mix up yeast cake then pitch)

we save spare wort left overs then freeze it when it comes to making a starter defrost the wort pitch trub/yeast in and spin with mag stirrer its a hell of a lot cheaper than using DME. Ive got some fullers 1845 yeast on the go now

I've been brewing a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone for a while, most like it however everybody raved about the last batch and I must admit it was a good 'un. At first I just put it down to variation you get when you brew in small brew lengths with kids getting in the way meaning mash times and temp may not be identical etc. However I just checked back on my brew notes and I did try a different yeast.

All the previous batches I used Danstar Nottingham dry yeast however the last one I used WYeast 1768 English Special Bitter Yeast, one of the smack packs. :hmm:

I've got some more of this yeast for this weekend's brew, I may try and harvest this and store it in the fridge, never done that before.

Cheers
NB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Nottingham is top dog!!

BB

I am a fan of nottingham always used it. I keep back my yeast cakes. I just put them in a sterilized 2l pet with some of the beer and leave it in the fridge. It lives well under the beer and the bottle pressurises so it stays sterile. I am just about to use one which is 5 months old. I drained of the beer layer and then put it in a couple of litres of 1040 wort to get it going again. Probably put a bit more in tommorow as I don't need it until next week. Once it is in the brew you get a really good fast start to the ferment. :thumb: :thumb:

I am going to try and freeze some samples as back ups and freeze the spare wort from brew day. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
I am a fan of nottingham always used it. I keep back my yeast cakes. I just put them in a sterilized 2l pet with some of the beer and leave it in the fridge. It lives well under the beer and the bottle pressurises so it stays sterile. I am just about to use one which is 5 months old. I drained of the beer layer and then put it in a couple of litres of 1040 wort to get it going again. Probably put a bit more in tommorow as I don't need it until next week. Once it is in the brew you get a really good fast start to the ferment. :thumb: :thumb:

I am going to try and freeze some samples as back ups and freeze the spare wort from brew day. :thumb:
I use it for all brews except blonde beers then I use S-04 or S-05.. :thumb:
Bought a 500g vac pac off ebay so I ain't got much choice for the next 6 months..lol

BB

Latest posts

Back