Past BBE date - still ok ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wez3323

Reaction score
Hi all, whilst out and about I passed a LHBS and decided to call in for a look around - they had a Simply Beer Kit (midland mild) on offer at �£9.99 as it was "slightly" past its use by date, but included a pack of fresh new yeast. Good deal... along with another pack of brewers yeast (to be on the safe side) and 1kg of brewing sugar it came in at �£14

anyway - I got home and planned to brew it with 1.3kg of liquid malt extract, 2 table spoons of black treacle and 500g brewing sugar with some Goldings hops thrown in for good measure.

Whilst reading the bumph on the back of the beer kit, I noticed the BBE was 2013 - yes... two thousand and thirteen!!! Almost 4 years ago.... Its too much of a pain to drive back and return it even though 4 years isnt "SLIGHTLY" past its best

I know the yeast is good as its new, and i have an extra packet of fresh brewers yeast. My question is....... can I still use the kit or is it well past it? I dont want to waste the LME on something that is doomed before it starts.

TL;DR - is a 4 year old beer kit still ok to use with fresh yeast ?

thanks v muchly

If the tin is still okay (i.e. not dented and not "blown") I would use it ...

... but I would boil the extract with a few litres of water first!

In the good old days, before they had even thought of BBE dates or ready Hopped extracts, I used to boil all my extract and hops in a one gallon pot and then cool the wort down with cold water from the tap before adding the yeast.

A Mild Ale is a great choice to brew at this time of the year. It should just about reach perfection as those cold dark February nights start screaming out for a big fire and a couple of pints of Mild.

Heaven! :thumb: :thumb:

A Mild Ale is a great choice to brew at this time of the year. It should just about reach perfection as those cold dark February nights start screaming out for a big fire and a couple of pints of Mild.

Heaven! :thumb: :thumb:

now that is my idea of a nice evening, except I don't have a big fire, just a poxy little gas thing with artificial coal... I do however have a 6ft chimnea and a hot tub! So that Mild is getting drank in the garden, by me, and only me, as no one else likes it :drink:

As for the kit, its in one of those foil type bags which is still in good condition, i'll go for it! As you said boil it up with water first :thumb:

thanks again

A few years ago now: the oldest kit I brewed was about 6 years old - tin forgotten under the stairs, no external signs of deterioration, not sure but it probably was a bitter. Used new yeast and the result was perfect.

BTW, at the same time I also unearthed some bottles of "Pineapple Lager" also at least six years old. Perfectlty drinkable, good strength and fizz, with a hint of pineapple.

Latest posts

Back