Peat Smoked Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedsbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Myself and my 2 brothers and our partners all try and get home for a couple of days over christmas. Last year I turned up with a corni of 4 shades of stout. Needless to say it went down a storm. This year the parents have asked me to brew a couple of beers for the festive season. One dark, and a light ale as my mum loved the Summer Gold I took home for a family BBQ.

So after much deliberation I have decided to go with a peat smoked stout:

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
UK Pale Ale Malt - Marris Otter 1.701 kg 33.6 % 1.9 In Mash/Steeped
UK Munich Malt 1.674 kg 33.0 % 3.5 In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 0.348 kg 6.9 % 7.6 In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Barley 0.348 kg 6.9 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.348 kg 6.9 % 56.9 In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 0.298 kg 5.9 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Peated Malt 0.200 kg 3.9 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 0.149 kg 2.9 % 34.7 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 59 g 28.5 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 24 g 5.3 Loose Whole Hops 15 Min From End

Yeast
DCL US-05 (formerly US-56) SafAle

As has already been pointed out by Franklin I'm going to sub out the wheat malt, as it'ss not doing much in there with all the flaked barley. I'' up the MO accordingly to keep the OG up. The munich is in cos I have a load to use up

this little lot should give it an OG of about 1.053 if I remember correctly!

Leedsbrew

Just a note of caution on the peat smoked malt. A lot of the scottish craft brewers have been chucking this malt into their brews over the last 10 years and it takes over the taste.

I had a chat with an ex-SCB regular last week and he told me you have to use homeopathic amounts of this stuff he was saying 0.3% of the total grist/extract or LESS.

Cheers

Farmbrew, thanks for the heads up, though I've used it in a few brews now and I don't find that. I did a peat smoked porter with 1.5% of the total grist and found that I wanted more. I know it's not to everyones taste though.I gave Franklin a bottle of the porter and he liked it the way it was. I found that amount to have a subtle smokeyness that I felt could be stronger.

Saying that I'm a massive fan of 'laphroaig' and 'Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen' (of which I realise the later isn't peat smoked, but by hell is it smokey!)

LB

Well this is mellowing down nicely now. There was a slight twang to it a couple of weeks ago, and when I took some along to the NCB meet. It is still lacking in the smoke department but I think that was because of the age of the peated malt! I think after two attempts with peat smoked malt, rauch malt is the way to go for a good amount of smoke! :D Nice roasted barley flavours and the fuggles haven't dominated. It's a great colour, with loads of body from the flaked barley!

DSC_1087.jpg

Latest posts

Back