Pectic Enzyme

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozebandit

Reaction score
A lot of recipes when it comes to fruit wines require you to add pectic enzyme to the fruit to break down the cell walls in the fruit releasing more flavour and preventing a pectin haze etc but if you are using fruit juice and fruit juice concentrate do you still need to add the enzyme? It seems unnecessary to me seeing as in fruit juice the flavour, colour etc has already been extracted, would you still get a haze from using say apple juice from concentrate?

The original wurzels orange wine said use it so I assume it is necessary, I have seen the same question asked many times about nutrient, some say it is not necessary but I take the view its cheap lasts a long time and i would rather use it than risk a stuck fermentation or in the case of pectolace hazy wine.

With TC I have always added a bit.. Whether I have needed to or not I do not know the science behind it but just about everyone I see does

I agree with Chippys train of thought and this is my approach in general, if its a good practice why leave anything to chance

Latest posts

Back