Phoenix all grainer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomC73

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I'm new to this forum so hope that I'm posting in the right place. I'm no expert at brewing but truly enjoy trying and drinking what I manage to brew.

Last year I managed to grow some Phoenix hops here in sunny Bristol(uk), so I decided I would brew up an all grain + orange zest, beer with them.

My recipe was as follows.

5kg of Maris Otter
100grams of Carapils malt
50grams of medium crystal malt
Zest of 4 organic unwaxed oranges.
Home grown Phoenix hops :0)
Gervin GV12 Real ale yeast

So I mashed all the grains in 15 litres of water at around 66ish degrees for 60 mins, then drained into my boil pot. I then sparged the grains with another 14 litres of water which was around 77 deg, this was then added to the pot and the boil began. My hop additions were as below.

@60mins 20g + all of the orange pith
@45mins 14g + 1/4 protafloc tablet
@55mins 14g

After 60 mins brew was cooled using my wort chiller to around 20 degress and strained.
I then drained it into my glass carboy and pitched the yeast.

I've added a pic of what it looks like in the fermenter after 3 days. I have to admit that I'm a bit worried as it has gone really really pale and super hazy but am hoping that this is a combination of the yeast working and maybe something to do with the zest? I hope it clears up!!

upload_2018-2-19_13-16-32.png

Have people had similar experiences where a brew has changed colour drastically from when first put in the fermenter?

Anyway I hope to hear from other members
Happy brewing

Tom

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-19_13-16-19.png
    upload_2018-2-19_13-16-19.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 84
My Patersbier did that, but that was the CML Belgian Ale yeast making the beer cloudy. It looked sort of white and pale as it was made with pilsen malt, so with the suspended cloud of yeast it looked like yours.

Not had a Maris Otter brew go that colour though, usually goes just slightly more orange, before turning golden again (single malt brews).

Thanks for replying. Most of my brews are simple, Maris Otter malt, with a single hop. I did a brew using exactly the same recipe but used grapefruit zest rather than orange, but it never went so pale, it did take an age to clear. I can't see it reverting to the original colour of the wort which was alot draker before I pitched the yeast (not that it matters!) Makes me think it might be infected somehow. I just hope the batch is drinkable and not wasted.

Latest posts

Back