Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@Anyextee
Half-sun at Giza Pyramids today. This only happens every 5 years.

1667162197146.png

One for the olds - what is this?

View attachment 77079
I know what they are, but almost exclusively used them as small bombs. A splash of petrol and an igniter made of 2 wires with a very small airgap connected to a battery (9v would work sometimes).

Great fun in the sandpit with toy soldiers, blowing up sand bridges etc... 🙂

It's a photo film cannister. The old ones were metal with a screw lid. This is a later version in plastic with a snap on cap. I wonder if film is even available anymore.
Yes, it is still available. And I think is undergoing a mini revival. I’ve started shooting film again. On my 1980s era Pentax. Second hand 35mm cameras and lenses sell cheaply on eBay. But the film and developing are quite expensive!

This explains it -

As we discuss in our Is Yeast Vegan? article, whilst yeast is alive, it is neither animal nor plant: it belongs to the Fungi kingdom, and hence yeast is fine for vegans to consume. The yeast used in the production of Marmite is obtained from the brewing industry in the UK, and given that this by-product would otherwise be thrown away, the fact that Marmite exists at all is a big plus from an environmental perspective as it make (very good) use of what would have been a waste product.

https://www.veganfriendly.org.uk/is-it-vegan/marmite/
I like this bit best:
whilst yeast is alive, it is neither animal nor plant: it belongs to the Fungi kingdom, and hence yeast is fine for vegans to consume.

It’s like, ok, it’s alive, but we gotta eat something, let’s call it a mushroom :laugh8:

Yes, it is still available. And I think is undergoing a mini revival. I’ve started shooting film again. On my 1980s era Pentax. Second hand 35mm cameras and lenses sell cheaply on eBay. But the film and developing are quite expensive!
I used to do all my black and white developing and printing when I was younger. Started at about 9 or 10 years old with contact prints then had my own darkroom in the cupboard under the stairs when I was a teen. Very enjoyable.

Indeed!
Remember waiting for holiday film to be returned in the post to see wonky photos of blurry holidays, so exciting!
I recall car cigarette lighters my old banger still has one, no USB in sight.
Also I recall cleaning the fluff and muck from my balls. You actually needed a cable between the device and computer - how quaint. I also remember when wing-mirrors were ON the wing and telephones had wires and dials and we only had 1. At home. 🤣

Latest posts

Back