Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil1454

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to have a go at doing a Pilsner from the bible (page 90).

It states that fermentation is 12C. Conditioning is weeks at 3C.
Does this mean that after fermentation has finished to leave the fermentor "as is" and drop the temp to 3C?
Or does it mean to bottle/keg add sugar. Leave for a few weeks to carb up then put the bottles/keg into fridge and drop to 3C for 4 weeks?

Can't imagine it would mean adding sugar then putting straight into fridge as I highly doubt carbing is going to happen at that temperature.

Yeah, what you said, you don't carbonate at 3c. I'd also up the temp after fermentation for a few days before bottling for a diacetyl rest.

Yeah, what you said, you don't carbonate at 3c. I'd also up the temp after fermentation for a few days before bottling for a diacetyl rest.

OK so after fermentation finishes I up the temp to 19C for 2 days then liturally just drop the temp and do nothing more for the 4 weeks ?

Or am I suppose to rack it to another FV before the 4 weeks conditioning is started?

thanks

Last edited:
Raise the temp for a few days for the diacetlyl rest. You can then drop the temp to condition then bottle/keg after but some bottle, carb and let it condition in the bottles. If you're kegging and force carbing then do your transfer after the rest start chilling straight away and condition in the keg. Cheers.

Last edited:
Raise the temp for a few days for the diacetly, then if you're bottling it, prime and bottle, leave them to carbonate, then drop the temperature for the lagering, same if you're priming in a keg. If you're kegging and force carbing then do your transfer and you can start chilling straight away. Cheers.

Confused. From looking on the yeast web site says to raise temp for 2 days for the diacetyl rest towards the end of fermentation.
Is this classed as at the end of the 4 weeks conditioning period or after the fermentation period has pretty much finished and then drop temp for 4 weeks after the diacetyl rest ?

Ferment at 12c - may take 3 weeks rather than 2. Before it finishes raise temp to 18c for a few days and until it finishes fermenting.

Then drop to 3c for at least 4 weeks

Here's my lager schedule, loosely based on the Brulosophy "quick lager" method. All my lagers come out crisp and clear using this method:
  1. Chill to 10C which takes overnight in the brewfridge if I put it in there when I've got the wort down to 22-ish after boiling.
  2. Pitch decanted BIG yeast starter at 10C.
  3. Worry and fret for a day or so that nothing's happening (lagers are like that).
  4. After the bubbling has started to settle back to one every 3 seconds or so which is about a week after pitching then allow temperature to free-rise to 16C.
  5. Keep it at 16C for a total of 3 weeks since pitching for a diacetyl rest and to let it drop mostly clear in the fermenter.
  6. Transfer to keg, fine, purge, pressurise and leave at 6C for at least 2 weeks before drinking.
If you bottle then replace that last step with bottling + priming sugar, keep at room temp for 2 weeks to carbonate. Chill and serve when clear, however long that takes :)

So that's 5 weeks from pitching yeast to starting to drink the keg and it'll get better as more weeks pass.

On my last pilsner I used California Lager yeast, fermentation around 20 degrees. IT has been in the fridge for 4 weeks at around 4 degrees. Tastes really nice.

I think Dude Brews used Imperial Global L13 yeast at room temps. The yest strain is Weihenstephan , dry version is from Fermentis SafLager™ W-34/70.
I might try doing that one day and see how it works out.

Last edited:
I've done that same recipe - you can read about it here.

As I recall I fermented in the garage around 12-14degC then moved it to room temp for the diacetyl rest for a few days once the gravity had fallen about 75% of the way between OG & expected FG.

I could not find any definitive answer as to whether I should bottle and then lager, or lager and then bottle.

In the end I transferred it to secondary and left it lagering in the shed for 6 weeks before I bottled.

It tastes really good and has continued to mature with age I think, plus it seems to have less chill haze now.

(By contrast I've recently brewed a Märzen and I didn't bother with lagering, I just bottled and left it to carb and condition - haven't tried it yet so the jury is still out on that one!)

Latest posts

Back